Is swarming season over?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it true, as suggested by others on this forum, that the swarming season is now likely to be over?
I have had no swarming this year and there is no indications within my three hives of any preparation. Bee activity is pretty good in all three.
A neighbouring beekeeper has the same experience.
Perhaps the warmer weather this week will be their last opportunity?

I collected a swarm last year end July.

Is it true, as suggested by others on this forum, that the swarming season is now likely to be over?
I have had no swarming this year and there is no indications within my three hives of any preparation. Bee activity is pretty good in all three.

swarming season begins in early April - and ends late the following March
They sometimes even swarm in the closed season.

Is it inadvisable then to reduce inspections, to fortnightly, from July on, or do you guys continue with weekly inspections right through Summer?

I might or might not. Depends on what I see in the hive, brood, bees, stores, space, activity etc.
Swarm control is always a gamble, balancing risks

It also depends on nectar flows and keeping hives strong for the main flow!
E

I’m in the NE of Scotland and in 2018 had a hive swarm the 1st Sunday in September!

All I can say is if your colonies have already made swarm preps and you have dealt with them then yes. Otherwise no.

My landlord has one particular colony that always makes swarm preparations in April. Now some may say this is a bad thing, I'm not so sure. The old queen was popped into a nuc and since then they've drawn out the frames in a second tier and were transferred into a full hive a couple of weeks ago. One super filled, they are looking for another. Back on the original spot there is a new queen going for broke, again looking for another super as they have three full ones above them.
Much less inconvenient than finding swarm cells at the end of May!! Only a couple of mine have made no attempt, most had a cell or cells in the first week of May, which was no surprise as the colonies were heaving with bees.
I had a 2018 Amm on Demarree and removed most of the top brood box to make up a strong nuc. I gave them a fourth super and just as well because they were stuffed and we had a few days of lock in due to heavy rain and storms. I'm considering a fifth for a bit of extra room, she's gone ballistic.
Nothing worse than twitching at this point in the season.

Well, wouldn't you know, I spoke too soon! A big swarm issued from one of the hives bang on 12pm. I heard the hum and was able to watch them for 10 minutes or so while they decided which way their whirling would take them.
They settled in a difficult to access elderflower tree, with yards of brambles beneath, but, with the aid of a bucket attached to the end of an extending fruit harvesting pole l was able to capture them and house in a brood body l have had ready and waiting since March. Filled it with some drawn and some new undrawn frames. Just hope they will stay

Thank you Steve. I am getting more confident about handling bees, but obviously not confident enough about spotting queen cells!

Judging by the situation, high up in a tree and loads of brambles, a bucket on an extending pole.
I reckon you deserve a pat on the back. :winner1st:

I presume they are mine but a neighbour had a swarm yesterday. by the time I got there they had up and left never to be seen again. this morning I think it returned to a nearby apple tree. I recovered it into a nuc and left it upside down while the stragglers went in. an hour later they had run away about 20m into a hedge. I started again to get the stuff ready when they up and left yet again and are nowhere to be seen. Is that usual?

Latest posts

Back