Is My Hive Doomed???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HilltopFarms

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Let me start by saying this is my first year, and first hive. I've had a great, mostly uneventful year with my hive. My girls have have been happy, healthy and gave me a bunch of honey.

I did a late season inspection and found what looked like dried up withered wings on several of the bees. I did a verroa check earlier in the year and found nothing, as a result I didn't treat for verroa with this being a 1st year hive.

I think what I'm dealing with is Deformed Wing Virus...I can treat for the mites and I'm going to when I get home from work tonight, but is it too late for my hive?

what do you think causes deformed wing virus?

Doesn't it normally coincide with a high varroa load?

Doesn't it normally coincide with a high varroa load?

The actual virus has been around a long time,but yes it seems to be made worse or transmitted around more with the varroa mite,does not always need to be a heavy mite load though,some bees are more prone to DWV than others.
The infection can often carry on even after an effective varroa treatment,ie in the absence of varroa mites, once it has started. Very much depends on the strength of the colony, and the percentage of infected young bees emerging as to the survival of the colony,plus any other viruses that may also be present,like paralysis. Often they are dead and they don't even know it,but not in all cases.
Treat as soon as possible.

Last edited:
So what I'm getting is...

So what I understand is, especially this late in the season, I can treat for Verroa, but most likely it's in the brood, and there is little I can do...

Yes its in the young emerging bees,easier to sort out earlier in the season, but not so easy now, as these young bees are what is needed to carry the colony over winter. But as i mentioned it depends on the severity of the infection,treat and hope they pull through. A feed of HBH in syrup may also be a good tonic.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, remember I'm new at this, but what is HBH? I looked at the acronym list and it said Honey Bee Healthy...still not sure what it is.

Yes it's a feeding stimulant with essential oils,easy to get over your way.
Welcome to this forum by the way.

"I didn't treat for varroa with this being a 1st year hive."

granted a break in brood during nuc formation may well reduce mite numbers significantly BUT there is no such thing as a first year hive - every colony has to originate from a queen and a decent number of workers, any of which may be carrying mites. bees don't materialise out of the ether.

Latest posts

Back