Is it too late to treat Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varroa and a novice beekeeper

Hello to you all
I have just bought my first national hive and ordered a nucleus colony from a local beekeeper. I am a bit worried about the mite problem. Is Varroa so endemic now in the south-east of the UK that my bees will be delivered already carrying the mite? Will i need to treat them as soon as I get them, if so what is the recommended method for a new colony?

Hi johnny,

The beekeeper you are obtaining your bees from will in all probability suppy you with a good Nuc and will have treated for Varroa.

So the first thing I would advise you is to ask the local beekeeper 'What treatment has been carried out in regards to Varroa?

His answer should tell you if there is any need to treat whislt rearing your colony. Ask him also the age of the queen. Ensure you get reasonable frames from him you do not want dirty well worn frames.

Once you have your answers then let us know how things are in the hope we can guide you correctly, but on saying that the local beekeeper should offer his advice and possibly help you out as a beginner.

Welcome to the world of beekeeping and to this forum.

Regards;

Hi Jonny

Welcome to the forum.

If I was selling you the hive, I would have allready treated it, and would clearly state that to you! If the seller has not done so to you, I would question why!

Ask the seller what they have done?

Given the pending cold snap, you have a chance to get back on top with Oxalic acid treatment, do a quick search or look a some recent posts, there has been loads on it.

Just remmber if you have nuc, scale it to their size.

Varroa and a novice beekeeper

Thank you both for your replies. My beekeeper said the nucleus will be a young queen and about 10,000 bees, but didnt say much about the mite. I will ask him if he has treated them when I go to collect them. If I have any problems, i'll let you know.

Hi jim,

you have a chance to get back on top with Oxalic acid treatment

jim I know he has a hive but as yet no bees. He is obtaining a Nuc from a local beekeeper when they are ready, not just now.

Regards;

Johnny; when does your beekeeper intend letting you have the bees?

Back