Is it to late to demaree?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it's not - but just leave the top box run it's course and either take down or let them backfill
Cheers I better get building!
I've been looking at mine every 5/7 days the ones I've done already.
I've preferred inspections every 5 days, some might say it's fiddling but I've saved queen's and watched things grow been at bit ruthless with stock with requeening but hey how.
Just to rant more, I've lost 4 swarms this season I've put that down to lack of comb only foundation.

Last edited:
I'll throw my hat in the ring for what it's worth. I'm not a bee farmer....just a lowly hobby keeper. Ive been doing Demarees for a few years now and, for me, there are a few things to consider. Is the colony fast expanding, getting quite a few drones but not yet on swarm preps? Then all good to go. This time of year queens are going to begin to slow down. Have I got drawn comb? Because in my short experience Demarees work best with drawn comb in the bottom box at the best of times let alone this time of year when nectar is coming in fast and being put in the supers. I would be worried about lack of laying space.
I don't know what commercial beekeepers do but at this time of year If I had a colony that needed swarm management I would nuc the queen and put a new mated queen straight in the old box.....Or if I had no queens (unlikely for a commercial unit, surely) Then I would bleed capped brood off the queen into the parent hive till the new queen was up and laying

I did 3 x demaree this year, early May and well before any (visible) swarm preparations. Mostly on foundations in LBB. 2 out of 3 ended up making swarm preparations, so ended up aborting and removing the Q’s to a nuc.

I did 3 x demaree this year, early May and well before any (visible) swarm preparations. Mostly on foundations in LBB. 2 out of 3 ended up making swarm preparations, so ended up aborting and removing the Q’s to a nuc.
Yes it is not the best on foundation, I found that out a couple of years ago. I will tend to have at least 8 frames of drawn foundation if at all possible.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for what it's worth. I'm not a bee farmer....just a lowly hobby keeper. Ive been doing Demarees for a few years now and, for me, there are a few things to consider. Is the colony fast expanding, getting quite a few drones but not yet on swarm preps? Then all good to go. This time of year queens are going to begin to slow down. Have I got drawn comb? Because in my short experience Demarees work best with drawn comb in the bottom box at the best of times let alone this time of year when nectar is coming in fast and being put in the supers. I would be worried about lack of laying space.
I don't know what commercial beekeepers do but at this time of year If I had a colony that needed swarm management I would nuc the queen and put a new mated queen straight in the old box.....Or if I had no queens (unlikely for a commercial unit, surely) Then I would bleed capped brood off the queen into the parent hive till the new queen was up and laying
Or if old queen v good and not that old, put her back after removing swarm and emergency cells & giving parent another comb to build 2nd round emergency cells and take these down too. Then reunite original queen. Think this works well at end of season. Just done this to my queen rearing colony which made swarm preps in the latter stage of using a Cloakboard as bees so congested. But reared queens v well fed. Kept queen in a Nuc and built to double Nuc as she is so prolific, so United her back with 7 frames brood, which I need for the Heather flow in Aug.

I have lost 3 including 1 cast, all at the out apiaries which I can only inspect every 7 days due to work.
Jeff try clipping your queens in spring next year. I’ve had 2 swarms this year where I’ve lost the queen but no bees as they were clipped. Both swarmed on open cells. Happens v quickly, watched one. Flew into a hazel tree and within 20 mins flew back to their hive. No sign of queen. With either work commitments or out apiaries, takes the pressure off.

Jeff try clipping your queens in spring next year. I’ve had 2 swarms this year where I’ve lost the queen but no bees as they were clipped. Both swarmed on open cells. Happens v quickly, watched one. Flew into a hazel tree and within 20 mins flew back to their hive. No sign of queen. With either work commitments or out apiaries, takes the pressure off.
Yes, I think I will start doing that indeed, thanks. It was manageable before but this year with 3 apiaries and 20 hives to start with I found it challenging to be on the ball and thorough with inspections as I am also trying to keep the weekends as free as possible to spend with the better half!!

Proper job .....

Yes, I think I will start doing that indeed, thanks. It was manageable before but this year with 3 apiaries and 20 hives to start with I found it challenging to be on the ball and thorough with inspections as I am also trying to keep the weekends as free as possible to spend with the better half!!
Know how you feel. I have 12 colonies but getting towards as many Nucs, which sounds a small number compared to what others manage. Still takes a lot of time especially as I’ve chosen to just have a small number per apiary. Keep telling myself as I learn more I will become faster and more instinctive about what to do in situations. On the upside it’s wonderful being outside, close to nature and problem solving.

I've requeened 5 like this dani and united some trying to keep colonys with mated queen's.
I've got three queen's coming today and some more in the wings in kielers. Virgins Mating.
6 Cells on a bar in a starter 7 days old they will be put in kielers as virgins.

As to the demarees I'm going to assec them first but they are only last years queen's single brood with three supers on.
I don't have any comb left only supers for the flow they are still drawing comb well

Have I got drawn comb? Because in my short experience Demarees work best with drawn comb in the bottom box at the best of times let alone this time of year when nectar is coming in fast
This late on, I only Demarree with mostly drawn comb, however, if they have some foundation to deal with, if there's a good flow on they will draw it.

I've requeened 5 like this dani and united some trying to keep colonys with mated queen's.

...............,...,,,,and some more in the wings in kielers. Virgins Mating.

As to the demarees I'm going to assec them first but they are only last years queen's single brood with three supers on.
Well there you are why don’t you use those and still keep your colonies producing or are you going to plunder production colonies for brood to make nucs?
Or what about those queens you were advertising for sale

You’re the commercial bee farmer
No harm in that to make increase but you can’t have both....... or can you?

Maybe it’s time we reinstated the commercial section then maybe you’d get better answers.

If I had a colony that needed swarm management I would nuc the queen and put a new mated queen straight in the old box
At what stage do you do that Dani? I have a production colony that has just made a couple of charged cells. Are you saying that I can remove the existing queen and place a 2021 mated queen instead and this will stop the swarming intent?

[QUOTE="Erichalfbee, post: 775198, member: 987"

Maybe it’s time we reinstated the commercial section then maybe you’d get better answers.
[/QUOTE]

Or some home truths ....

Latest posts

Back