Is it me or.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of years ago we had a chap in our association who was doing a study into this sort of thing,his theory being the quartz and such like in the ground had some effect on the hives.He had an electronic gizmo to detect I think the magnetic field and usually when he dug down under the hive a bit there would be a rock.I know a few people who he helped out with their bees.Whether it was all rubbish I don't know but his funding eventually run out and he moved on to something else.

Thought It would be safe to start this discussion seeing that the usual sneering troll isn't around at the moment to sabotage it.

:winner1st:

No messing it is nice not to have someone beefing you up on every beekeepering topic!

I had Roger P stay with us on a few occasions teaching queen rearing to the Cornish groups.

I had notices that over several years swarms had been attracted to several places in our one acre top garden ( We still had bees in the lower orchard at the time)

Being a dowser for several years I had found that several lines of interest intersected at the swarm points.

Without telling Roger that I had used the rods I asked him to demonstrate his bee dowsing skill.... and he identified all of the swarm points that I had discovered..... with a couple of bent bits of wire knocked up from a coat hanger in the metal working shed..... and then with the traditional Y of tree wood!!

In a previous thread some years ago I presented the fact that I had a nasty colony location... and the bees changed when relocated.....

Located in an old unused country lane where apparently a monk on a pilgramage from Antony... to Kit Hill via a chapel well claimed to cure whooping cough... was savagely robbed and murdered.:calmdown:

Yeghes da

If several dowsers, unbeknownst to each other, were asked to find ley lines in a field, would they find the same lines?
It seems a rather basic experiment to see if there is actually something there or not...

Yes.... but it does depend on what you ask the dowser to look for!

No messing it is nice not to have someone beefing you up on every beekeepering topic!

I had Roger P stay with us on a few occasions teaching queen rearing to the Cornish groups.

I had notices that over several years swarms had been attracted to several places in our one acre top garden ( We still had bees in the lower orchard at the time)

Being a dowser for several years I had found that several lines of interest intersected at the swarm points.......snip.......his bee dowsing skill.... and he identified all of the swarm points that I had discovered..... with a couple of bent bits of wire knocked up from a coat hanger in the metal working shed..... and then with the traditional Y of tree wood!!

In a previous thread some years ago I presented the fact that I had a nasty colony location... and the bees changed when relocated...... snip........
Yeghes da

There was a great deal of ancient wisdom/lore associated with not only bees, much has been buried as unprovable or non scientific and yet repeated anecdotal evidence persists. We know some magnetic forces do affect the human body, we know about the aurora. And how do pigeons/birds navigate vast distances ? Is it the use of olfactory cues to locate their position, and then the sun as a compass to head in the right direction or is it beak magnetite and special eye sensors to travel over areas that do not have many landmarks, such as the ocean maybe a combination ?

It would be lovely if we could be as open minded about all aspects of beekeeping. :)

There was a great deal of ancient wisdom/lore associated with not only bees, much has been buried as unprovable or non scientific and yet repeated anecdotal evidence persists. We know some magnetic forces do affect the human body, we know about the aurora. And how do pigeons/birds navigate vast distances ? Is it the use of olfactory cues to locate their position, and then the sun as a compass to head in the right direction or is it beak magnetite and special eye sensors to travel over areas that do not have many landmarks, such as the ocean maybe a combination ?

The arrogance of mankind, to think he can know everything, there are some things far deeper than science.

And this is why nature will always have the upper hand on mankind. We have a brain and only use it to manufacture our way out of everything at the detriment of everything else.

And this is why nature will always have the upper hand on mankind. We have a brain and only use it to manufacture our way out of everything at the detriment of everything else.

Mankind is part of nature, not separate from it.

Careg cenen castle...brings back happy memories of picnics there whilst visiting my grandmother. One of the most spectacular castles in Wales.
Nice thread.
Use dowsing rods myself to site bait hives.

So is dowsing one of those things you've got or not got? I've never tried it, but I suspect it's sort of like dancing - you either can or can't...

- A sideline question really: Does anyone have a recommendation for good advice on learning how to use dowsing rods? I have a pair, and have also tried with pendant in the past ... all whizz around nice and convincingly, but not in any coherent way.

Deep Green Feminist Environmental Philosophy.....

Didn't an American Marine Biologist state that in a 60s book entitled Silent Spring?

I think the saying should have been mankind should be part of nature, not separate from it.

I just use a couple of coat hangers like the poster above. When we built our house my JCB driver used them to pick up an old drainage system.
I was impressed and converted.
Funnily enough, he left it at that.
However....Later on in the build he blew several teeth off his bucket when he hit a high tension cable necessitating Western Power to visit and fix....

Deep Green Feminist Environmental Philosophy.....

Didn't an American Marine Biologist state that in a 60s book entitled Silent Spring?

Not really something someone said...The concept is (at least) a central tenet of Eastern Ad Vaita philosophy. Something like @Repwoc I also happen to think.

Last edited:
LOL no they cant. It works for me with the dowsers hand on my shoulder, but not without, But then again I work at sea so perhaps that sucks it out of you.
Not a thing I ever doubted as my old country kind a dad talked about it as a norm, But the first time you see it in action it is quite impressive,
I was expecting him to need hazel twigs picked by a virgin under moonlight ot something, But the dowser just broke off a bit of fence wire, Which when it twisted tore a bit out of the side of his hand

Careg cenen castle...brings back happy memories of picnics there whilst visiting my grandmother. One of the most spectacular castles in Wales.
Nice thread.
Use dowsing rods myself to site bait hives.
How do you use them?

I was thinking of putting out a bait hive, and was wondering were to site it.

Aye, some say "everyone can sing" too - ignoring those of us who are screechin' awful! - But maybe we can learn. Have just been out with mine, for a go... nothing over the water pipes but seemed much more interested in the oil tanks!

(Bucaness I've had exactly the same experience as you - the hand-on-shoulder thing, with sensitivity to other energy fields.)

Latest posts

Back