Is honey a premium product?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you anywhere near the stringybark (e. obliqua) gum trees in Galicia?
In Galicia we have several native species from Australia and some classified as pests. Regarding the eucalyptus species, due to the fact that they are used for timber, renewal occurs every 25 years. The first wave of plantings was e. globulus, the second of e.nitens and now others are beginning to be seen. In general, the plantations occur in the coastal zone while in the interior the pine occupies a larger area.

In Galicia we have several native species from Australia and some classified as pests. Regarding the eucalyptus species, due to the fact that they are used for timber, renewal occurs every 25 years. The first wave of plantings was e. globulus, the second of e.nitens and now others are beginning to be seen. In general, the plantations occur in the coastal zone while in the interior the pine occupies a larger area.
I see you guys are about 42 degrees north and we are about 42 degrees south, which is cool!
The stringybark are flowering here for the first time in seven years (flowering every 7-15 years...globulous every 3-4). They looked very speccy in the forest last weekend, great giant things covered in white flowers, but I understand the problems with them overseas. Amazingly fire adapted. I was thinking about them in relation to what you were saying about crystallisation as generally the eucalypt honeys are very slow to crystallise. I wonder how often they flower there? Nitens are not native here and don't seem to flower at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_152424958.jpg
    IMG_20230205_152424958.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I see you guys are about 42 degrees north and we are about 42 degrees south, which is cool!
The stringybark are flowering here for the first time in seven years (flowering every 7-15 years...globulous every 3-4). They looked very speccy in the forest last weekend, great giant things covered in white flowers, but I understand the problems with them overseas. Amazingly fire adapted. I was thinking about them in relation to what you were saying about crystallisation as generally the eucalypt honeys are very slow to crystallise. I wonder how often they flower there? Nitens are not native here and don't seem to flower at all.
Regarding flowering, there is a difference between the coast and the interior (climate) and the species.
From my window I see some, they bloom every year around May. I suppose they will be globulus because they are very large. Near my house there is a small plantation, 6 years ago the old ones were cut down and new ones were planted. The first flowering took 4 years. Last year they had flowers, I'll be watching this year to see if they grow.
On the coast they usually flower in March or April.
In my area, the presence of acacia dealbata, the beautiful pest, is more noticeable.

A friend asked me to taste honey she bought from a house with honey for sale sign. All was on the label was the locality produced in, nothing else. I thought it was very sweet and very acidic. I told her to leave it in the fridge and see if it granulated, she rang and said nothing has happened after two days. Is there a simple test that will tell if it is the real deal or not

Water test is supposed to distinguish, though whether it's accurate...
Just tried it with some of my honey and some Sainsbury's cheapo honey left over from my WI honey tasting evening. Not conclusive but the cheap stuff seemed to dissolve more over a 15min period than the good stuff.

In Spain we have legislation regarding the food chain, the most salient is:
It establishes that distributors cannot sell at a loss.
It prohibits the industry and distributors from buying below production costs.
Well, the Galician beekeepers (particularly the large producers 300 of the 4500) have initiated claims to the government so that the legislation is complied with since honey from third countries is detected at 3.5 euros per kilo.

Latest posts

Back