is beekeeping an old mans game?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned 73 last year which makes me a pup in our association :).
94 and going strong is the eldest member :rofl:

John Wilkinson

I wondered when JW would show his hand. I had a bet with myself that he was probably the oldest active beekeeper here, and certainly the most active 'silver surfer'..

..perhaps we'd better crown him King Bee and bestow honary life membership to the forum !

S

I should add that I have been keeping bees since I was 15, so 21 years later, a whippersnapper still at 36.

And one of the great things about the hobby is it is a great leveller - I learn as much from new beeks as old beeks and it is a great way to meet people outside your own age group.

S

Well I'm 30 and a girley. Most of my friends are too busy raising young families to have time or money for hobbies, whereas I have skipped the whole child-rearing stage to explore various hobbies that maybe some can only enjoy later in life.

I'm with you. Perhaps we should start our own association!

My youngest daughter is 8, and dons her suit and wellies with such enthusiasm! She is very capable of manipulating a frame from our hive and will identify brood, stores, eggs and larvae with confidence. Mum (me) is now of the age when "21 again" sounds nice!

. . . . Mum (me) is now of the age when "21 again" sounds nice!
Cheer up Pookiesbees - Those of us watching our age (bit like 'watching one's weight' and about as futile) might be cheered to turn to p100 of Beowulf Cooper's 'The Honeybees of the British Isles' where he says - in capital letters, 'NEVER CULL A DESIRABLE MOTHER ON ACCOUNT OF AGE'.
:party:

Im 31 and all though most of my friends/Family took The 'pea' at some point about me keeping Bees most have had the suit on and have been very intrested when helping me.

Bloody show off

:p

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishmop View Post
when I was young we only had a stick to play with.....

Now I have a campervan, a caravan, a Mercedes and a Bentley.

and bees.....

grand total value doesnt come to much tho.....

It's logical to be older in beekeeping cause the whole mentality of it is something that needs age and experience, with experience comes knowledge which all comes with age, im 28, and i'm in the 3rd year of keeping now. no money or anything can stop the love and urge you get towards this sort of thing.

Keep on Keeping people.:)

Latest posts

Back