Introducing new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon kerr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long would it be safe to keep the queen + attendants in her cage before introduction, its just the weather here is just cxxp at the moment and too windy. She arrived this morning?

24hrs in an airing cupboard where it is dark and warm. Then remove attendants before putting cage with the queen into the hive
Should only take 30 seconds to put into the hive- keep half the brood covered with a towel to keep bees down and heat in.

Ya like your towels Heather...

Mind and give them a drink whilst they are waiting out of the hive.

A drop of water on your finger then place it on the cage so the bees can get to it.

PH

We southern bees don't like draughts!
Like my men- keep warm and in the dark- easy to manipulate.

I'm from the North. What's this "keep 'em warm and in the dark " stuff ???

my new queen in her cage has been in the nucleus box with frames of bees at all stages for 5 days now - we had a look today and she is still alive (good start:) ) and there are hive bees on the outside of the cage - no apparent aggressive behaviour - should I take the tape off the candy end of the cage now - or wait a bit longer?

There are 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of stores

A couple of queen cups had been made - no larvae in them and we knocked off what could have been a mishapen drone cell at the edge, which had a larvae in it

I've never introduced a queen, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the candy was there so it took bees time to chew through to her, by which time they'd have accepted her. Are you not supposed to take the tape off before you put the cage in?

I may have to do this stuff, depending on the temperament of my lovely new queens offspring, so if I have the wrong end of the stick, please tell.

I've never introduced a queen, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the candy was there so it took bees time to chew through to her, by which time they'd have accepted her. Are you not supposed to take the tape off before you put the cage in?

QUOTE]

Yes, you remove the tape, or in some queen cages cut away a bit of plastic so the hive bees can eat their way in and release her after a while.
You are also meant to remove her attendants before putting the cage in, though I've never been too sure why?

Steve

my new queen in her cage has been in the nucleus box with frames of bees at all stages for 5 days now - we had a look today and she is still alive (good start:) ) and there are hive bees on the outside of the cage - no apparent aggressive behaviour - should I take the tape off the candy end of the cage now - or wait a bit longer?

There are 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of stores

A couple of queen cups had been made - no larvae in them and we knocked off what could have been a misshapen drone cell at the edge, which had a larvae in it

You should be OK - the candy will provide another 12-24 hours before she is released. Then leave min 5 days before looking.

With queen introduction there are no absolute rules I'm afraid, just ways of minimising the risk.

Its okay to leave the attendants in the cage - had no problem with the 5 we introduced this year this way. Its best to leave the tape on the cage until the bees have stopped balling and no queen cells are being made. This way they the bees cant chew thru the candy too quickly - esp if the bees are not keen on accepting new queen - gives beekeeper a bit more control. I left 7 days before checking - there is nothing you can do to help intro once the queen is realeased and the danger of checking too soon is that they will ball the queen even if she has started laying.

So being patient really helps and when you do check its a quick one to see shes laying and remove any qc that may have been made during new queens release.

Having lost a succession of queens this year I would strongly recommend leaving the tab on until you are certain they are accepting her.

I believe taking the attendants out is to stop the queen getting accidentally killed while they are try to protect her. Seem to recall Mikea also suggested if you leave them in make sure that the plug is left pointing down so they don't block the exit

I never remove attendants; i don't think it matters if you do or don't. However Teemore has a point if they are from elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back