Interesting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolknchance

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Did you know that the three wise men,who followed the star to bestow gifts on jesus.as opposed to myrh did in fact offer propopulis named by aristotle to mean before city,just a small useless bit of info

Did you know that the three wise men,who followed the star to bestow gifts on jesus.as opposed to myrh did in fact offer propopulis named by aristotle to mean before city,just a small useless bit of info

Err, sorry, am I missing something?

No, they didn't. The text is quite unequivocal.

Or am I suffering a humour deficiency here?

Dusty.

What? Just because you read something on the internet doesn't mean it's true y'know!
NT Greek text is quite clear.

Now, back to how many kgs of sugar to a gallon. And i'm off to church.

I don't know what he's getting at anyway - last sentence reads as pure gibberish to me - or am I missing something as well.
Open air worship today - a couple of hours fishing this morning and communion tonight

Myrhh is a tree resin, not unlike propolis. Among other things, it was used for embalming. The bees got confused too and used propolis to embalm dead mice in their hives.

I don't know where Norfolk got his information from, but having a look on the internet I saw that Frankincense and Myrrh are tree resins - so maybe that's why he thinks, or why the article he might be referring to thinks, propolis was one of the gifts.

As for 'sources' - what 'text' are you referring to, Dusty? I have a feeling it's from a book that might have quite a lot of misleading 'facts', just as the internet often has.

Kitta

What? Just because you read something on the internet doesn't mean it's true y'know!
NT Greek text is quite clear.

Now, back to how many kgs of sugar to a gallon. And i'm off to church.

Quite agree often the written word is taken for gospel wherever it is.

I don't know where Norfolk got his information from, but having a look on the internet I saw that Frankincense and Myrrh are tree resins - so maybe that's why he thinks, or why the article he might be referring to thinks, propolis was one of the gifts.

As for 'sources' - what 'text' are you referring to, Dusty? I have a feeling it's from a book that might have quite a lot of misleading 'facts', just as the internet often has.

Kitta

I think you'll find Dusty's "texts" are pretty reliable :D

I think you'll find Dusty's "texts" are pretty reliable :D

:iagree:
As is Dusty :D
Although he does tend to whitter a bit and some of his jokes are, shall we say, a bit suspect? - but I think the joke thing is drummed into them during basic training, having sat through quite a few sermons I can attest it's a common thread! :biggrinjester:

but I think the joke thing is drummed into them during basic training, having sat through quite a few sermons I can attest it's a common thread!

Have you been to my Church?? :D

Err, sorry, am I missing something?

No, they didn't. The text is quite unequivocal.

Or am I suffering a humour deficiency here?

Dusty.
I thought the trivia "fact" about the "three wise men" is that nowhere in the authorised bible does it say there were three.

Frankincense and myrrh, fragrant gum resins extracted from trees in South Arabia and Ethiopia, were used to make fine perfumes and anointing oils during the era of Jesus' birth in the Middle East.

The bible is not anti bee, it does mention honey but I have never heard the word propolis mentioned in the bible

I thought the trivia "fact" about the "three wise men" is that nowhere in the authorised bible does it say there were three.

What a load of cobblers is the origin of this thread.

Anyhow, in the interests of accuracy.....

Everyone knows that there is no mention of the number of 'magi' - but the text (Matthew 2:11) says quite clearly:
"Then, opening their treasure chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh."

The καίνε Greek word is σμύρνη, used (or it's verbal equivalent, σμυρνιζω) several times in the NT for myrrh. It's consistently used, as others have correctly posted, for a tree resin.

In Rev. 18:13, μυρον is used; this is a Semitic word for anointing-oil, usually translated as 'myrrh'. I don't know if propolis was used in that - but it's irrelevant to this thread.

'Myrrh' appears about 14 times in the OT, but I didn't do OT Hebrew.

As I'm here, whilst pro polis does translate literally as 'before the city', my memory (which may be faulty) is that it is understood to mean, 'city guards'.

Why am I wasting my time on this? Well, because I can, I guess.
And it's fun resurrecting (!) my knowledge of NT Greek.

Dusty

P.s. I've just remembered that I've got some old incense (not frankincense) hanging around somewhere. Makes lots of aromatic smoke. I'll have to try it in my smoker tomorrow.

Last edited:
The καίνε Greek word is σμύρνη, used (or it's verbal equivalent, σμυρνιζω) several times in the NT for myrrh. It's consistently used, as others have correctly posted, for a tree resin.
Quite!

It's amazing that, because some 21st century people aren't sure of the difference between a resin collected and harvested from a tree and a resinous substance made by bees inside their hives, they assume that the Greeks also didn't know - but they were far more in tune with nature than many of us are today.
As I'm here, whilst pro polis does translate literally as 'before the city', my memory (which may be faulty) is that it is understood to mean, 'city guards'.
I think both Aristotle and Varro referred to the way bees use propolis to seal and protect the entrance to the hives.

Interesting article here "Historical Aspects of Propolis Research in Modern Times" http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/964149/
Recorded use of propolis dates back to c. 300 BC and continues today in the form of home remedies, toothpastes, creams, ointments, drops, and dietary supplement. Its numerous properties have been appreciated for very long time.

Last edited:
What a load of cobblers is the origin of this thread.

Not so. Norfolk chappie might have got the wrong end of the stick, but as a result I've learned that Frankincense and Myrrh are tree resins - something I didn't know before. The essay on translation is irrelevant.
Kitta

"Authorised version" ? The translated word of that which is alleged to have created the whole universe ... "authorised" ... by a mere English king ... Does not anybody else smell a rather pongy rat here ? Especially as the Church and Monarchy have a somewhat 'comfortable' arrangement ?

But, whatever, I'm really quite impressed that a Greek journalist (no doubt using Pitman shorthand on a scrap of papyrus) had the forethought to record such details, just in case those events became a big story. Reckon he was the 'wise one'. :) (wonder how much he got for the story ?)

LJ

Last edited:

Kitta

"Authorised version" ? The translated word of that which is alleged to have created the whole universe ... "authorised" ... by a mere English king LJ

well I don't read the authorised version (and Dusty never mentioned that) - and that says the same (but in a different language :D)

But anyway, I'm off now before this thread again descends inoto an attack on some people's beliefs.:seeya:

Latest posts

Back