Interesting article about how to treat stings...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I'm not very technically minded. When I checked it I guess it linked into my computer. I had been sent the article.

An extract follows:

""The method of removal does not seem to affect the quantity of venom received. This finding contrasts sharply with conventional advice on the immediate treatment of bee stings. Probably this advice derives from a misunderstanding of the structure and operation of honey bee stings. The sting continues to inject venom, but it is the valve system, not contraction or external compression of the venom sac (the wall of which contains no muscle) that pumps the venom.

Our data indicate that the advice often given to patients—that they should be concerned about how bee
stings are removed—is counterproductive in terms of minimising envenomisation. The method of removal is
irrelevant, but even slight delays in removal caused by concerns about the correct procedure (or finding an
appropriate implement) are likely to increase the dose of venom received. The advice should be simply to emphasise that a bee sting should be removed as quickly as possible.""

thanks for that, i always kick myself because i rush to remove sting and often wonder if i have pinched it rather than scrapped it. Well at least i have done something right today!

Got stung in hand and arm yesterday - I have a very dramatic reaction very red and hot and swollen. If my bees swarm I might give up. LOL

Slower movements required!

Don't close you fingers or clasp your hands without 'feeling' your movements for a bee you might trap.

Smoke the sting to kill the 'smell' - then dab Tea Tree Oil on - pain goes away. :cool:

Anti-histamines when you get stung or before as some do.

"very red and hot and swollen"

Is not a dramatic reaction, lips swelling, eyes puffed, difficulty in breathing, faintness etc is, (are)

Anti-histamines taken for next few stings should help.

The sting she leaves behind: remove it with your hive tool, some say the way it went in, but I find just getting it out doesn't make any difference. Puff smoke over the area

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Received wisdom vs. research?

Fuller version of this research now available to view online. I can't post links yet as I don't have enough posts under my belt so to find the article I'm referring to you can google "ucriverside bee sting removal" and it comes up as the first link for me.

Having stumbled across this myself I've been really surprised to keep hearing the instruction to scrape, not pinch, and do it in the direction of the sting. I've heard this both from beekeepers, seen the advice in various places online and it was taught on a Red Cross first aid training course last month. No where, apart from that article, have I seen anyone revise this advice in light of this research.

Given that the research was originally published in '96, people seem to still be repeating the received wisdom without ever questioning it. Is this just symptomatic of the way beekeeping habits and knowledge are passed on in the UK?

Does this info need to be circulated more prominently? It seems that this sort of thing could potentially be life saving for someone who is allergic or who has suffered multiple stings.

I'm coming at his as a total newb so I'm really interested in your opinions.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Fuller version of this research now available to view online. I can't post links yet as I don't have enough posts under my belt so to find the article I'm referring to you can google "ucriverside bee sting removal" and it comes up as the first link for me.

Here's a link http://www.psu.edu/ur/archives/HealthMed/BeeSting.html

It does take time for new information to filter through, and push the old stuff to one side. It's the same with removing ticks, that could cause Lyme Disease. Some people still think they should be covered with vaseline, but doing that makes it worse.

Given that the research was originally published in '96, people seem to still be repeating the received wisdom without ever questioning it. Is this just symptomatic of the way beekeeping habits and knowledge are passed on in the UK?
And elsewhere. One of the often quoted observations is, "ask 3 beekeepers you get at least 4 opinions".

There's a lot in books, even found in exam syllabus and various guides that has no published evidence to back it up. Some is observable every year but much, like the idea of scraping stings out is no more than repeated "wisdom". In this case, misleading at best. Use whatever you have in your hand, a hive tool is fine or fingernails rub it on a box edge or anything within reach, if it's though clothing just pulling the clothing away from the skin often does the job. There's at least one medical site written by doctors suggesting tweezers; we all have those to hand 24/7. The credit card edge is still being repeated, despite the evidence.

Much of the general rule of thumb advice for many procedures is well intentioned and works in most cases. It's often used in training or general introductions as the least risk option if you have nothing else to go on. It's rarely the only way that works in all circumstances, but it usually takes a few trials before you work out the combination of convenience and effectiveness that suits you.

Can't even post links in quotations so this reply makes marginally less sense than it should!

Is this the one you mean?

Exactly. Thanks for that.

Here's a link

It does take time for new information to filter through, and push the old stuff to one side. It's the same with removing ticks, that could cause Lyme Disease. Some people still think they should be covered with vaseline, but doing that

That link seems to be a summary of the same research but significantly reduced and without the supporting data and diagrams.

I guess you're right about taking time to filter through but I've been surprised when I see it repeated by what should be more knowledgeable sources.

And elsewhere. One of the often quoted observations is, "ask 3 beekeepers you get at least 4 opinions".

There's a lot in books, even found in exam syllabus and various guides that has no published evidence to back it up. Some is observable every year but much, like the idea of scraping stings out is no more than repeated "wisdom". In this case, misleading at best...

Fair point about information in general which is unsubstantiated. I'm just surprised that a hobby/job/industry that is entirely dependant on handling bees does not seize upon developments such as this, especially when potentially lifesaving at best and discomfort saving at least!

Interesting insights generally. Thanks.

Yes, I realised that, but I didn't want to register with The Lancet, and thought it might be better than nothing. ;)

Fair point! The link I wanted to post (which alldigging kindly posted) seems to be the most complete I can find.

My experience of multiple stings - the most I have had is 12 in about 10 seconds on a bare hand...is that swift removal - that is IF you can - ignores the accepted wisdom and just gets them out... any old way.

Of course if you are holding a loaded super at the time.. you just grin and bear it.

A 1% hydrocortisone cream rubbed in quickly afterwards makes a great difference..

"I have a very dramatic reaction very red and hot and swollen"

how quickly did you remove the stings?

as per previous poster - a red swollen extremity is just part of the spectrum of a normal local reaction.

My experience of multiple stings - the most I have had is 12 in about 10 seconds on a bare hand...is that swift removal - that is IF you can - ignores the accepted wisdom and just gets them out... any old way.

Of course if you are holding a loaded super at the time.. you just grin and bear it.

A 1% hydrocortisone cream rubbed in quickly afterwards makes a great difference..

Top tip about hydrocortizone cream, thanks.

Back