Interest from the Muslim community

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this?
The deli who sells our honey has noticed an upsurge of interest in 'local' honey from the Muslim community. So much so that any labels which say:
"Pure"
"Unprocessed"
"Local"
literally fly off the shelves.

The deli who sells our honey has noticed an upsurge of interest in 'local' honey from the Muslim community. So much so that any labels which say:
"Pure"
"Unprocessed"
"Local"
I have the same interest here. A Sikh friend on my allotment buys 20 lbs at a time and takes it to the temple. A Muslim who lives nearby buys several jars whenever his hay fever flares up and says it is the only thing that helps.

I have a Muslim friend who likes all things natural and can't get enough of my honey and usually give him a few jars free because when he cooks a meal he gives some to his neighbours, something they do in Iran's villages.

Same thing here. I was told its used a lot in cooking - and that there's lots of interest in buying locally produced honey. I just can't produce the volume that the people I was talking to wanted!

Muslim or any other religion? Who really cares? The simple maxim of 'natural' should be enough!

I have some catholic people that love mine too.

I have some Chinese customers that wont buy supermarket honey as they know what is done to it (the Chinese portion). So much so that I am this autumn going to take photos of how I process my honey so I can use the pictures in some promotional materials for them and other prospective customers.

My best friend is Muslim, and one of their cultural practices is the giving of honey to a new born. It is said the child will grow with the traits of the person who gives the first taste of honey. I know it isn't supposed to be given to young babies, but that's what they do. I will ask her of any other practices using honey. She's always on at me to get her some, but I think that's mostly for cooking.

No Muslims round this area, perhaps we need to import some to improve honey sales.

I will ask her of any other practices using honey.
I'd be interested to know.
The deli owner gets worried when there is a delay before we can restock his honey supplies as the punters can be a bit tetchy.

I just spoke to her and there are no other practices she can think of, but there is a verse in the Quran about bees, and how the properties of honey are healing.

"Pure"
"Unprocessed"
"Local"

Almost all my customers are Asian and most of those Muslim.

The bee and honey are central to the quran and also their ideas of natural medicine.

They also seem to have the children with the worst allergies judging by some of those I have seen.

However, it is this community which ALWAYS asks whether it is: local; raw; pure; unpasteurised; heat treated; and how I 'make' it.

They're not actually any more knowledgeable –-most haven't a clue how honey is made –-but they know the right questions to ask.

I also put cut comb on special recently and have sold a good deal of it, because people are quite scared of it.

My best friend is Muslim, and one of their cultural practices is the giving of honey to a new born. It is said the child will grow with the traits of the person who gives the first taste of honey. I know it isn't supposed to be given to young babies, but that's what they do. I will ask her of any other practices using honey. She's always on at me to get her some, but I think that's mostly for cooking.

Yes, I gave a neighbour of mine a small pot recently for that very reason.

i have the same interest here. A sikh friend on my allotment buys 20 lbs at a time and takes it to the temple. A muslim who lives nearby buys several jars whenever his hay fever flares up and says it is the only thing that helps.

Two entirely different parties there.

Depending on the moon tonight the muslims may be celebrating the end of fasting tomorrow or Saturday!

Last edited:
There are mentions of honey and bees in the Kuran (or Koran). Apart from natural or religious connections you may be aware that Ramadan (one month fasting is coming to an end.) During this period you will be aware that Muslims (or Moslems) are forbidden to eat OR drink between certain hours. Their throat becomes very dry and is prone to throat infections. They use honey as a sort or medicine to combat this (having antibiotic properties as it does). Muslims tend to buy a stock in for over this period for the family. As honey stocks can run out around this time before the next season of extraction begins they tend to buy a few jars in to be on the safe side.
Mystery solved! :)

I had a lovely conversation with a worker in an 'ethnic' shop in Newcastle about the perfect and huge filled frames they were selling. He was Kurdish, had been a beekeeper before needing to leave urgently (I didn't ask why)
He was very interested in my honey and how I extracted it and dismissed the honey sold in the shop as not pure. I ended up dropping off a jar of 'proper' honey for him and would love to be able to speak better (or any) Kurdish and find out how his beekeeping worked and compare - climate seems a major difference!

We had a visitor to measure for wall insulation and the hives in our garden started a conversation about beekeeping. He told us that as a Muslim beekeeping, as well as honey, was important and mentioned in the Qur'an.

Hopefully the links below will work - one gives a relevant quote.
http://www.basebees.co.uk/
http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-229-4465.htm

Ray

Latest posts

Back