Insulation material

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveG23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an old futon mattress, was thinking of repurposing to use as insulation above crown boards.

Seems to be made of layers of cotton, wool and some foam.

No real info on a label so I can only guess at the treatment the material had (reference is to some fire regulations from 1998.)

I am thinking the wool and cotton would be ideal and as it's above the crownboard should be no concern to the bees.

What do you think?

...I am thinking the wool and cotton would be ideal and as it's above the crownboard should be no concern to the bees.

What do you think?
As long as you’re using a solid crown board. If you’re feeding, and there are slight gaps where water vapour from the hive can escape, some of that filling will become soggy - and that’s no good. Pure wool on its own won’t become soggy because it can absorb a huge amount of water before becoming soggy. I use wool, and it stays dry apart from, occasionally, slight wetness on the sides or very top where the wool touches the hive sides. The bulk remains dry. Cotton will become soggy.

As long as you’re using a solid crown board. If you’re feeding, and there are slight gaps where water vapour from the hive can escape, some of that filling will become soggy - and that’s no good. Pure wool on its own won’t become soggy because it can absorb a huge amount of water before becoming soggy. I use wool, and it stays dry apart from, occasionally, slight wetness on the sides or very top where the wool touches the hive sides. The bulk remains dry. Cotton will become soggy.
I have read that wool still works as an insulator when damp/wet. Good tip on the cotton, thanks.

I have (quite a lot) of wool insulation blocks that I have no use for. I presume I could use these. My question is how do I seal it as it is 'loose' but compressed blocks. Do I just rely on the crownboard being sealed?

I have (quite a lot) of wool insulation blocks that I have no use for. I presume I could use these. My question is how do I seal it as it is 'loose' but compressed blocks. Do I just rely on the crownboard being sealed?

If feed holes are covered it's sealed from below then you can put an empty super or an eke above the crown board and fill it with the wool?

Most of my crown boards have an eke permanently attached, I am planning to fill that space with the insulation

Wrap it in tyvek.

When feeding (or using a crown board with a feed hole - even if covered), it is inevitable that vapour will rise into the eke. That’s why I use wool: it doesn’t become soggy - unlike cotton.
So, don’t worry about ‘sealing’ it. Off cuts from wool insulating blocks are good. Downside: possible woolly fingers.

Latest posts

Back