Inspection routine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks,

Just done by first inspection, however on my second, I buggered up on the old smoker. As a beginner, you learn from mistakes, so I after the smoker went out (quickly should I say) I replaced the hive back and will attempt again.

This time however I will practice the smoker at home first. Any advice on the smoker appreciated.

Regarding inspection, I know most basics, however to clarify...
You take out the first frame, once inspected, you place to one side outside of the hive.

You take out the second, does this then move to the side where the first frame was, then take out the third? In other words, all the frames move along one, the first frame taken out going at the opposite side of the brood box?

Tips appreciated

Chris

Pull one of the outermost frames out. The queen should not be on it...but check all the same. Put to one side - or, one of the most useful beekeeping "gadgets" that I have is a hanger that allows you to hang the frame off the side of the hive.

Now you have a gap, inspect the second frame..and replace it where the first frame was. That way you still have a gap to operate in.

When you have got to the far side. gently push all the frames back (all at the same time), so that the gap is where it started, and the first frame goes back where it started.

As Rae says, but you might find that the frames don't slide back to their original positions as easily in practice so don't worry if you do a few at a time, just think 'slow, steady and calmly' and you shouldn't disturb a single bee :)

Using a dummy board at one end is a BIG help. Start by taking it out, quick check for queen (easy as so few bees on it). Put aside. Then when you get to the other end put the board in there and start that end next time.

Get to grips with the smoker. There's more to getting some good, light smoke than meets the eye. And let it burn out before you use it for your bees thus giving it a chance to get gunged up a little with tar, that way the lid won't accidentally open and the contents won't set your hive on fire.

I use my first frame to cover the frames I won't be inspecting yet, then I know I wont forget to put it back. I still havent got the hang of my smoker yet, one day it will last a whole inspection!

My smoker went out on last weeks inspection. I covered the bb with an old pillowcase while I re-lit it. Was pleased to say it did keep the bees calm!

On a normal "happy" inspection bees will go down on a very light syrup spray (not used in robbing season). And that doesn't go "out" so is useful lots of times...e.g. when you're nearly finished and the smoker goes out.

One of the problems i have when putting everything back, the bees seem to like to sit on top of the frames and q excluder, so when its time to put the supers on there are hundreds of bees waiting to be crushed.
Its particularly awkward when the supers are nearly full, cause they weigh a bloody ton.

One of the problems i have when putting everything back, the bees seem to like to sit on top of the frames and q excluder, so when its time to put the supers on there are hundreds of bees waiting to be crushed.
Its particularly awkward when the supers are nearly full, cause they weigh a bloody ton.

Blow a bit of light smoke on them - that often gets them to go back down into the BB and reduces the chances of crushing.

To the original poster I would suggest trying to get on a local course. I know our local BKA practical is startuing this week, so assume other areas will be the same.

Last year on the course our tutor said that letting your smoker go out was a hanging offence. I think we all practiced at home a good few times. It is all it take sis practice and patience. make sure it is going well before going anywhere near your bees. I light my smoker before even suiting up.

Last year I used shredded cardboard packing from a well known bee equipment supplier. This year I am using dried grass which I like much better

Like a toolbox, the kit all has its uses: smoker, light syrup spray, manipulation cloth, frame hanger. The only occasion on which I used all four together was in AS-ing my feistiest colony in last weekend's glorious weather.

Since I work in limited space four floors up in an urban setting, I need all the help I can get to keep the bees calm!

On the super-crushing-bees problem, I have found that leaving a bit of brace comb in the middle of the QE gives the bees a little space and some time to scamper away under some smoke before the super goes on.

Finally, I am back to using well-known bee-equipment supplier's shredded packing, lightly stuffed into an empty cardboard loo-roll with some dried garden herbs to make a smoker "cartridge". Convenient, long-lasting and fragrant!

a loo roll - what a good idea!!!

On the subject of light syrup spray - how much sugar to water? Also, why and how does this work?

Freethorpe: it works because the bees are then more preoccupied with licking the syrup from each other than doing anything else. Concentration is that which will issue from a spray device (i.e. too thick and it won't spray).

Thanks Moggs - I think I'll have one on standby incase my smoker goes out again! So the spray makes the bees move down just like smoke?

Yep - they will bimble down to compare notes. Makes 'em too sticky to fly too :)

Any suggestions for the best way to replace the queen excluder?

Maybe I'm still a bit slow, but I'm finding after I've used some smoke, the bees are still coming back up when I'm trying to put the excluder back on.

Colin

Latest posts

Back