inspecting hivss with wasps around?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelH

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Nucs
Am I asking for trouble inspecting my hives with so many wasps around?

I had that issue yesterday - just assisted my bees where possible. Also made me realise that despite being on small entrances they needed smaller still...

Hi NoelH,
Let a big bumble bee out of one of my hives yday when I inspected. Must have been in there for a week no other way in. Strange the bees did not kill it?

You could try using inspection cloths to cover the frames that are in the BB.
Any supers should be topped by the coverboard.

Not leaving the hive wide open makes it less attracting and harder for the wasps to get in.

Then its up to you to do what HAS to be done, as quickly as you can, and get it closed again - without wasting any time.

/// Added - good apiary hygiene and reduced entrances are a given.

Last edited:
ditto itma's suggestion: I use 2ft sq bits of old heavy curtain material to instantly drape on top of every super as they're exposed - it definitely helps to cut down the exposed honey aroma.

ditto itma's suggestion: I use 2ft sq bits of old heavy curtain material to instantly drape on top of every super as they're exposed - it definitely helps to cut down the exposed honey aroma.

Simple and effective!!!!!!!

Chris

Simple and effective!!!!!!!

Chris

I realise that this is ridiculed whenever I suggest it, but I collect transparent polythene dry-cleaning "sleeves" throughout the year.

I can then slide the sleeve over the super when it comes off the hive. This prevents access to the super by bees or wasps - and allows you to see the comb underneath. There is no added weight to the super and it is easily sealed with a strip of sticky tape. The wrapped-up super can be stored like that, if required and the sleeve removed in an instant when required.

So it is free, simple and is a practical recycling opportunity - works for me !

Old carpet squares would do same job. I prefer my 2ft sq 5 ply. Even then it isn't certain that some bees get among the frames I have pulled off the hives so I use my Stihl leaf blower to remove them. Works very well for me.

djg i like that idea - down hear in cornwall our recycling has been changed so we no longer use bags i happen to have a whole roll of clear bags so have moved them to my beek corner for similar use!

I stack my supers directly on top of each other on top of the roof, with the crown board/towel/whatever on top, then nothing can get in.
Work fast and only inspect when you really have to. I'm looking much less often now as I know swarming is over for me.
Cazza

Chancer hornet

During todays inspection a European hornet attacked a bee on the frame I was holding!! Needless to say it got zapped - bloody cheek.

very few issues with wasps when inspecting a TBH: the restricted opening means less opportunity for robbing.

Latest posts

Back