In the midst of a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to check on my hives this afternoon,haven't done any checks for about three weeks (see previous threads) the hive that has swarmed three times in as many weeks, decided to swarm while i was checking them, quickly put the roof back on and just stood there watching them as they left home.
Absolutely amazing spectacle, just wished i had my camera with me,stood for about half an hour just fascinated
Landed about 100 yards away low in a hedge,will try to collect them later, it's a privelidge to work with these amazing animals.
:)

where abouts in staff's are you karl?

Hi polyhive

never thought of that :)
I will chase (well limp) everone away with my walking stick, managed to walk to my apiary today in the field next door, so by the end of the week i should be able to chase anyone ???

Congrats on the mobility, I had a knee op some years ago and well remember the frustration at having to literally limp along but gradually gaining mobility week by week.

Best wishes

PH

Thanks polyhive
yes it is very very frustating, only had a minor op on my foot but you don't half miss your mobility, especially when your two main hobbies are beekeeping and fishing. I know there are a lot of people much much worse off than me and i should thank my lucky stars it isn't permanent,but when you have a beautiful sunny day, and most of your bees bugger off into the distance, you have to have a wry smile to yourself, and a tear in your eye as you wave them goodbye :)

KM we can form an exclusive club, I also had a knee op on saturday. I was told flat ground and no more than a 1km walk a day, after 3 days rest. My hives are 400m from the car! I went today, great. I suggest you tool up, crutch mounted mortars are very effective against bait hives (I'm told)

hi KM had my knee replaced last year in August. Bee inspector phoned to say I had drawn the lucky ticket 3 weeks later. I had difficulty getting into his Landrover Discovery. I was exhausted after 2 plus hours of inspecting 15 hives. never looked back since. I will take on all comers with bait hives!!! Good luck

Hi Karl

I'm in Biddulph.. which sounds close to you..

Mike

Back