Implications of overfeeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon

Your op said "there is very patchy brood on 2 frames" which I don't think is typical for the end of September so it looks as if your queen lost interest = maybe due to treating with Apiguard?

nuff said

Richard

autumn brood

here's some snaps of the 4 frames of brood in my UK hive taken tuesday afternoon - they've not been the most prolific lot over the summer BUT seem to have maintained a good core of brood - rimmed nicely with ivy pollen
(and looks like there are a decent number of eggs still).

The bit of brood in a super frame (ex nuc) seen a week back has now emerged and been replaced by stores.

Successful overwintering? Do not listen to people who have never seen inside your hive and may not even know what type of hive system you are operating when they say ... 'Feed until they take no more'. That advice is about as outdated as the National brood box is too small.

drstitson...how do you get the bees off the frames to photograph?? My frames are 4 deep in bees and get veryupset if I shake them off...

bees

Not shaken or anything - that's what came out with the frames. Rest of bees are busy in the super finishing off the stores there. This isn't the biggest colony (as mentioned previously) and its good to see decent brooding being maintained this "late".

"Cruel" - No I don't think so - it was a lovely sunny late afternoon in South London on Tues - around 19C. Basically an "out-snap-turn-snap-in" for each frame with brood and super both covered with pillowcases. Contents of frames assessed on photos in comfort of home!

As my UK colony were stuck with a part used super going into autumn (see previous posts for reason) i needed to assess how much more feeding was necessary plus now sure that hopefully have a decent stock of winter bees due to emerge shortly. Good to see decent pollen stores so hopefully should get off to good start in spring!!!

Unlikely to inspect again now weather has taken a turn towards expected for TTOY. Just need to remove feeder sometime in next week or so and replace with my new modified crownboard and insulated roof construction.

Great pictures. Are you sure it is ivy pollen? It looks a bit dark.

ps

Sorry, I can't for the life of me remember why I posted "isn't that a bit cruel?"...early onset Alzheimer's probably brought on by excessive alcohol consumption!

Well, I don't know why I worried. Hive had shown signs of life throughout winter and today they were perhaps the busiest I'd seen them since getting the nuc with plenty of pollen coming in.

Wanted to change the floor and clean some mould off the crown board so had a good peek whilst I was at it. A good sized colony, approaching what they were like last year, appear to still have decent amount of stores and hive weight seems fine.

Roll on a decent honey crop this year.

Latest posts

Back