I'm Not Complaining.... but...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will the pavement need to be lowered by the council?

Nope.
Many many years ago we were told that we could put gates in if we wanted, and at that time they were even giving grants towards the cost of the gates...

They'd probably want us to pay them now after all our money they lost in the Icelandic bank collapse..

If it were me I would definitely look into getting your hands on the plot out the back. Had a nice little area like that on the end of our old street (council owned). They sold it to one of my neighbours for a veg plot!

Yes, if you want to buy it tell them that you want to grow flowers and vegetables, but don't mention the bees, just in case you muddy your water. They will just happen to be incidental. The less independent access there is, the more likely they are to sell. In today's cash strapped council climate you could be very lucky.

Arguably the bank isn't giving you any useful interest.

There are 4 parking bays there surely he could move to one of the others, otherwise try the trellis idea or plant a lime tree, slower growing but lots of aphid s**t and good forage for the bees.

:D You could always build a pigeon loft, that'll take his mind off the bees :D

If it were me I would definitely look into getting your hands on the plot out the back. Had a nice little area like that on the end of our old street (council owned). They sold it to one of my neighbours for a veg plot!
Its classified as "housing land" It used to be play area open spaces land but to save them having to pay for the maintenance to the play equipment they re-classified it.... Then after a couple of years of no maintenance they removed the play equipment because they said it had been vandalised... I asked my MP to get them to put new stuff in but they lied to him and said the land was not big enough for a play area did not conform to EU regulations.

There arent any EU regulations for public play areas. There are only recommendations.... A swing from Toys R Us has more H&S regs than a public park.
Remember this is a council which had an official who kicked elderly people out of their bungalows and then moved her friends in low for rents...
Some of the residents asked if we could landscape the area and do some planting bu they never gave us a definative answer and

Yes, if you want to buy it tell them that you want to grow flowers and vegetables, but don't mention the bees, just in case you muddy your water. They will just happen to be incidental. The less independent access there is, the more likely they are to sell. In today's cash strapped council climate you could be very lucky.

Arguably the bank isn't giving you any useful interest.

The houses on two sides have rear access to the area.

Council taxes are paying for the money they lost thro bad investment,, the same as we pay to top up civil servants end salary pensions....

There are 4 parking bays there surely he could move to one of the others,

Like everybody else he wants to park as near to the house as he can, but those parking spaces are not designated to any given property.....

they are classified as "council controlled parking bays/spaces"
I had this problem with a caravan and neigbour who complained. Council told me to move it.... ........so I sold the caravan and put my campervan in the space where the caravan had been......... problem solved but not to the neighbour's delight.... but she has a parking space in her garden which she doesnt use....

Your hives are quite close to the car (Or the car is quite lose to the bees!). There is often more poo in the spring than later on it seems. My neighbour complains too so I plan to move some hives away soon to reduce the concentration of defecation.

Your council did the same thing as our one not a million miles away from you. they took decent play equipment away because it didn't comply with 'EU rules' despite it having been there for years and years. The children returned to an empty area with blank spaces where the equipment used to be - although it had been vapourised. That was years ago and it's still empty.

Russian Vine (I think it's also called mile-a-minute) grows like crazy and produces white flowers. Don't know if they are good for bees.

Neatly cut and folded Rizla papers can make excellent "bee nappies".

I hadn't spotted the layout diagram before. Any chance the council would let you put your bees on the land that used to be the play area. Perhaps you could suggest they were guard bees and would put off vandals? perhaps there is a deal to be made here - say you will save them money by cutting the grass. If you think your hives would be vulnerable for any reason, would something like a willow hedge give protection /isolation? Would your car parking neighbour support this or would he want to park his car there?

Sounds like a bit of guerilla gardening is needed. If it is untended, a few random willow rods planted with sharp spike and watering among the grass. A couple of digs with a spade and lie a couple of rods horizontally in the gash, with the end showing, in the hope of suckers growing. Broadcast seeds far and wide, but don't be seen to be doing it or taking any undue interest. Once it starts getting over grown it might become more available, or at least of more interest for your bees. Start at the other end and do it quietly.

have fun.

Just noticed that the imagery date was Sep 2008, is it more grown over already by now?

Last edited:
Tell him I will send him a photo of the seagull crap on my windows and on my lovely newly painted house - then he can see which he would prefer!

I have crows that beat hell out of my double glazing every morning as the sun rises. They can see their own reflection in the glass and are apparently being territorial, I would rather have bees crapping on my car any day! They are much quieter!!!:rant:

you say he wants his car as close to his house as poss well tell him to move it over, as I said before it appears closer to your house than his, also if that area is undesignated parking then get home early and park your car there lol. With regards to moving the bees, surely unless you move them more than 3 miles then any move will take a while by which time the bees will probably have stopped pooping on his precious car.

Where's the naked woman sunbathing - I thought she's mandatory for GE pics ?

The woman he lives with parks her car in that space nearer to their house. I think he doesnt park there in case somebody walking past touches it...

Just noticed that the imagery date was Sep 2008, is it more grown over already by now?
Theres a bit more grass coverage..

Is his car white?
Red. Quite an old Toyota I think... Dont think much of it so I have never taken a proper look at it....Looks as if it has just come out of the showroom...

I hadn't spotted the layout diagram before. Any chance the council would let you put your bees on the land that used to be the play area.

I doubt that very much.....

Where's the naked woman sunbathing - I thought she's mandatory for GE pics ?
Not quite, but the woman who lives there is available on google street view.

I,d just start feeding the birds near his car, 2 slices of bread a day should fix him. Then he would have something to complain about.
Don't let him see you doing it though.
Bob

There has always be a distinct lack of birds here for some reason...
A few pigeons/doves and couple of blackbirds, one of which has some kind of obsessive disorder because it starts singing at 2.30 IN THE MORNING, when its still dark.:banghead:

Nearly every year we had blackbirds nest in the garden but they didnt always hatch any young. If we pulled the nest out after they had gone a new one would get built the next year in the same place so I suppose it might have been the same family.... One even got so used to us that it didnt fly off when we went into the garden and didnt bother about our very small Papillon dog.
Sometimes we see a starling and what appears to be a newly hatched family of bluetits.. We have a couple of feeders hanging in the tree but they never get touched...

I wonder if neighbout has a thing about red cars and has got the hump because my new/old car is redder than his...

Latest news.

3 days ago I put some willow trellis up to extend part of the fence by 3 ft. so its now about 3 metres.

Threaded some of the creeper type plant/flower thing into it that is behind the hives.

This morning.. woman from next door comes round...."its not working, they're still crapping all over our cars... Just had to wash mine and his is covered with it as well...I've just had enough of it now".

I just stood and looked at her waiting for her to say something else.....
She didnt know what else to say.... so she walked away.....
She seems to forget the times she has stood at my door with...."my car wont start..... have you got?..... can I borrow?".......

and where does the "have got to clean it" come from????

Latest posts

Back