If you missed it earlier - Martha Kearney on bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OR WE WILL BE IN IT

Heather,

We are already in it. Just the majority don't know it yet. This planet cannot sustain an ever increasing population of parasites, which might be one way of desribing homo Sapiens.

Some may disagree with that statement, with me being just a tad too plain-speaking.

Most (of the important part of the population from this perspective) are certainly not living symbiotically with the rest of the species on this planet. Nearly everything is 'used' by us, and very little returned, in real terms, for the benefit of the rest of the planet's flora and fauna.

Regards, RAB

just about up to the neck........:svengo:

a tad too plain-speaking

Plain speaking ................ tu ? ;)

Some suggest that climate change will bring a significant reduction in population in already marginal areas. Probably through famine and drought. Migration will not be possible for those without cultural and economic mobility.

The biggest controlling factor on population size is still the quality of the available food and water supply, coupled with environmental health and endemic disease.

IMO it is difficult to envisage a control on these factors, if any is appropriate.

Transition is usually miserable. :(

p.s. please excuse the familiar conjugation o90o, ....... perhaps I should have said 'thou' , but it doesn't fit the premise quite so well. ;)

As someone who is currently scouring the countryside for sites to put a hive or two, what was really interesting was the guy in London suggesting that he'd had no problems at all.

Whilst my garden isn't really big enough, maybe people in my position should be approaching the local council to find out if there's land in the village/town that could be used under the "Putting something back" banner.

Does one of your local asociations have an apiary?

Ours was so devoid of colonies this spring that I actually took a hive specially for the event (the annual apiary day). It was a Dartington - a wooden version of the beehaus.

Regards, RAB

I thought the programme showed a scant respect for bees.

They were handled disgracefully, sent on long journeys in hot conditions, banged around at the new site- and some areas seemed as though nectar and protein were in short supply. Then we Man/Woman throw pesticides at them - and they ask why they are in demise.
WAKE UP AND SMELL IT - OR WE WILL BE IN IT:ack2:

I agree completly with you heather!

I am a beginer with no Bee's yet but i was discusted to see how the bees were handled, particularly by the father and son team!
i am sure that there are many comercial keepers that would agree.

interesting to see how the hives in london were prospering!

Having missed this programme both times, I have just watched it on BBCiPlayer. I agree its a good training programme on how NOT to keep bees.

I also thought it was very similar to the National Geographic programme 'Silence of the Bees', but possibly gave a better view from the bees point that the NG programme.

bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back