Bees, butterflies and blooms, part2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
8pm, BBC2, Weds 15th Feb (tonight)

2/3. Sarah Raven encourages gardeners in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, to embrace flowers rich in pollen and nectar over traditional bedding plants, as she continues her mission to halt the decline in bee, butterfly and pollinating insect populations. She also launches a bid for a pollinator-friendly logo to be introduced at the Chelsea Flower Show, and finds out from naturalist Steve Head how her own garden can be improved.

Just watching the programme whilst checking the forum, well worth watching so see if you can watch it on a catch up service.

Very interesting, wonder what wild flower mix they used towards the end?

What a fantastic way to educate and inspire people to plant insect pollinated plants and then see the other beds totally barren of insects. The other side of the coin would be for those with an allergy to stings buying the plants barren of insects. Hopefully please both camps. But for those sympathetic to the insect world totally inspirational.

Hi YorkshireBees

I did try to reply to your PM but I've not written enough posts to be allowed to do so!

The answer to your question about the seeds used in the programme is Pictorial Meadow's Candy mix - but they do quite a range of seed mixes.

Details can be found on the link half way down this page

Ooops, I'm not allowed to put a link in yet either, so you'll need to Google them!

Glad you enjoyed the programme!

Mary

PS: I only found this forum 'cos I was looking at the stats for the HIB website and was astonished to see someone had actually been reading my nectar-testing blog!

Last edited:
Try this: http://www.pictorialmeadows.co.uk/annual_mixes

tubs.jpg

R2

Last edited:
Here is another source for the seeds some of which were mentioned on the programme.

http://www.pictorialmeadows.co.uk/annual_mixes.

Ps I have not used the company nor have any connection.

My motivation is our bees and native insects and butterflies. But crikey itdoes look a tad expensive, but you will hopefully only buy it once.

Starts at about £14 to £22 for 50 gramme of annuals 2/3 gramme per meter. Then gets a bit silly for perennials.

Starts at about £14 to £22 for 50 gramme of annuals 2/3 gramme per meter. Then gets a bit silly for perennials.

Try working out the price of 50g of some of the F1 varieties of annual for "normal" plantings. It was eye watering 10+ years ago.

For example Lobelia seed is like dust and 2500 seeds currently cost about £2.09

Lidl's have this Flower seed mix £1.99 Assume they've been passed okay for use in the UK?

I don't like the use of the word 'meadow' as they're not, theres no grass and none of these mixes are natives, they are garden hardy annuals. Also it's a fairly short-term project- you have to re-sow every year, and you can only use the same bit of ground for about 3 years then it is too weedy.

Having said that, it is very pretty :)

Just received the latest T&M catalogue (Thompson and Morgan) and on page 2 they offer a Wildflower "Honey Bee" seed mix.
I shall order some and give it a go, trouble is there's only 1g - I really need enough for several acres...

Latest posts

Back