if no flow on...and no real pollen coming in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robbers? Or...Bees still will be foraging looking for water propolis nectar pollen, and cleansing flights.

why is front of each of our hives a frenzy with returning bees?
It could be that the new workers are orientating on their first flight, or as mentioned it could be robbing. You need to check and if the latter take steps to stop it. I lost a small colony to robbing this week, checked yesterday and very few bees, queen killed and light frames with ragged cells where the caps have been removed by robbing bees to get at the stores.

Robbers? Or...Bees still will be foraging looking for water propolis nectar pollen, and cleansing flights.
I witnessed the same yesterday. The entrance block is out but there didn’t appear to be any aggressive behaviour so I am hoping it was just orientation flights.

Bees have been very busy here lots of orientation flights, fanning at the front presumingly to keep the temperature down and bucket loads of pollen coming in. Not yet confident to spot a nectar flow but stores are looking ok and not put any feed on yet this year

Last edited:
Thanks...it’s not robbing, we had that last year on two colonies

What’s the best way to tell if they are bringing nectar in ie flying with honey stomachs full

Afternoon madness

My house hive (undergoing tlc) chugs along quietly, but every afternoon a mob of bees dancing around in front like a mad half hour. I think they must be learning to fly or finding their way around. No signs of robbing.

My house hive (undergoing tlc) chugs along quietly, but every afternoon a mob of bees dancing around in front like a mad half hour. I think they must be learning to fly or finding their way around. No signs of robbing.

It's today's cohort of newly promoted foragers taking their first journey outside the hive. They come out enough masse and it definitely gets pretty lively for a short period :)

Seeing a lot more water gatherers this week, suggests the flow has slowed down at long last (phew....and I never thought I'd say that!).... They don't seem to collect much water when they have fresh nectar around.
Best get a few more to the heather and back to work!

Latest posts

Back