Identifying male wasps from female

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things to look for.

The antenae in male wasps are primarily used to detect female sex pheromones so are nodular and curved if not straight.

The antenae in female wasps are used for sensing but also for measuring the length and angles of brood cells during nest building so they have straight antenae that have a defined bend (angle) in them at rest.

Male wasps have an extended abdomen and therefore look longer in appearance. And no, drones cannot prick you because they don't have a stinger. 😄
Very informative cheers .

I wonder where you need that knowledge, what is male or female wasp.

In late summer a wasp colony grows females and males and those mate. Females goes over winter and males die after mating. I have sometimes broken the wasp hive and I have seen that there are different kind of bugs. It is a shame if you do not know that they are.

I wonder where you need that knowledge, what is male or female wasp.

In late summer a wasp colony grows females and males and those mate. Females goes over winter and males die after mating. I have sometimes broken the wasp hive and I have seen that there are different kind of bugs. It is a shame if you do not know that they are.
Hello.
Welcome home.

Heaven forbid they stand accused of such a claim. You don't have to be a Geordie to sup 'broon. Last I heard brewing is now done at John Smith's in Tadcaster and it's sold all over the world.

Not sure the stuff they sell all over the world is brewed here, nor even to the same recipe as used here however.

On a related note, my son decided that he wanted fish and chips with a bottle of Newcastle Brown for dinner before he goes back to uni later this month, so tonight that's what we did. I'm not supposed to be drinking alcohol until my gum is properly healed, but I decided the one bottle probably wouldn't hurt :)

And on another related note I have a recipe for it, so perhaps next weekend we shall be attempting to brew our own. I even have quite a few original bottles for bottling it in.

James

Latest posts

Back