icing sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icing sugar has anti-caking agents added at perhaps a sub % level. Often sodium silicate. Should not be a prob for the bees any more than it is for us but why reduce the strength of your syrup (notionally) and pay more for the priveledge?

wanted to make up a quick feed. went to cupboard and only got 'posh' sugar! Can't use the browns so the icing was the only option. No corner shop where Ilive

needs must is it then! Comfort yourself with the thought that the special car journey to get gran sugar would cost more than the extra value of the icing sugar :D

Shrekfeet, The next lesson in prior preparedness may not be as easily solved. Be sure to have spare kit available before the bees consider it to be swarming season and you have to split your colony into two.

Have a good season and love your bees. Consider applying for a Booker cash and carry card, as a bee keeper. When asked for the name of your business, use your own name.

I bought sugar from Booker's on Friday at £9.99 for 15kg (1kg x 15) which is 67p per kg.

There are several Booker warehouse outlets in Hampshire, so likely to one near to your largest town. I actually bought 60kg.

I got 60kg for £31.96 (53.27p per kg) from Bookers on 4 Oct 2010. Being prepared for the autumnal feeding season is another must that newbies need to learn to be successful at reasonable cost. Missus is well pleased too at getting it cheaper from me than Mr Sainsbury, if she even tells me she has nicked some.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back