Ibuprofen in syrup mix?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is amazing. I will try.
Tylosine is very effective.

Your willingness to try an unconventional solution is the despicable (😀) sort of behaviour that beekeepers have had to use in the past to improve the survival chances of the colonies they have raised and nurtured.

Such experimental behaviour by beekeepers has, and will continue to be necessary to save bees especially where the veterinary medicines are simply not available because big business wouldn't make enough profit to justify the huge R&D spend to find a 'proper' new treatment!

Your willingness to try an unconventional solution is the despicable (😀) sort of behaviour that beekeepers have had to use in the past to improve the survival chances of the colonies they have raised and nurtured.

Such experimental behaviour by beekeepers has, and will continue to be necessary to save bees especially where the veterinary medicines are simply not available because big business wouldn't make enough profit to justify the huge R&D spend to find a 'proper' new treatment!

Well I think ladaok post is a bit of an eye opener if what he claims is true

Well I think ladaok post is a bit of an eye opener if what he claims is true

I do not believe Ladaok's story. I have not met that the chemical has antibiotic properties. But I try. I use that stuff daily.

That question has been asked in internet.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find any specific references (not that I have looked that hard) for Ibuprofen beingbused to prevent AFB. That said I have found references which would indicate that Ibuprofen would inhibit nodulation in newly emerged honeybees which is cyclooxygenase dependent. As a mechanism of action it sounds counter intuitive but if it prevents nodulation it might mean that young bees are otherwise able to clear Bacillus larvae before it has a chance of gaining hold and sporulating within the nodules.

I haven't been able to find any specific references (not that I have looked that hard) for Ibuprofen beingbused to prevent AFB. That said I have found references which would indicate that Ibuprofen would inhibit nodulation in newly emerged honeybees which is cyclooxygenase dependent. As a mechanism of action it sounds counter intuitive but if it prevents nodulation it might mean that young bees are otherwise able to clear Bacillus larvae before it has a chance of gaining hold and sporulating within the nodules.

Too easy to be true

I have no idea if Ibuprofen works as suggested. As a prophylactic (rather than an active treatment) then there is a plausible mechanism of action which probably merits further trials.

I have no idea if Ibuprofen works as suggested. As a prophylactic (rather than an active treatment) then there is a plausible mechanism of action which probably merits further trials.

Bacillus species (Bacillus Subtilis, Bacillus Sonorensis and Paenibacillus lautus) will remove Ibuprofen from water sources.

http://ethesis.nitrkl.ac.in/6561/

http://edepot.wur.nl/287740

Slightly over my head but I'm learning

Last edited:
Interesting references but sadly not relevant. The minimum inhibitory concentration stated in this instance is in the context of an environmental toxin - not a therapeutic agent. At 200mg/L the dose required to prevent bacteria growing far exceeds what our bodies (and honeybees) can tolerate. Bacteria are frequently used in chemical engineering to remove pollutants from water and the Bacillus species cited appear to be good candidates for that.

In honeybees the immune system relies on an enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX) to trap bacteria in nodules in response to bacterial infection. The problem with AFB appears to be that Bacillus larvae flourishes in these nodules and causes tissue damage through them. Ibuprofen is a COX inhibitor and works by interrupting the cyclooxygenase enzyme so that newly emerged honeybees can't form nodules. This in turn prevents AFB from flourishing.

Please note that this is a hypothetical mode of action based on unsubstantiated posts. I am not saying that Ibuprofen does protect colonies from AFB. That said there is enough I believe to start trials.

I know that there are a number of beeks who view the VMD as a totalitarian entity but speaking from extensive relevant experience I think the VMD do a difficult job to the best of their abilities. People either forget or fail to understand that the VMD has grown in response to things going badly wrong and they work to prevent those things going wrong again. No one likes being policed and that's something that we all relate to. No one likes being harmed but most of us don't relate to that until we experience harm for ourselves by which time it is too late.

I know that there are a number of beeks who view the VMD as a totalitarian entity but speaking from extensive relevant experience I think the VMD do a difficult job to the best of their abilities. People either forget or fail to understand that the VMD has grown in response to things going badly wrong and they work to prevent those things going wrong again. No one likes being policed and that's something that we all relate to. No one likes being harmed but most of us don't relate to that until we experience harm for ourselves by which time it is too late.

So why have they now targeted beekeepers? can't recall anything going 'badly wrong' in the beekeeping world. I have been told from more than one reliable source that they are 'looking for a scalp' from amongst us.
Let's not forget that in the main the VMD are in the main directed by a bunch of professional civil servants trying to justify their existence.
Nothing more
Nothing less

People either forget or fail to understand that the VMD has grown in response to things going badly wrong and they work to prevent those things going wrong again.

Where's the honey scandals involving UK produced honey? Seems to me they've got plenty of other targets to aim for first. Stinks IMHO

Latest posts

Back