I feel like such a failure :-(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope its all going well for you now. I still feel really nervous going into my hive and I have just walked away a couple of times, I am so confident when I'm with others but maybe its all just a bluff! My hubby insists that I am not alone when looking at my girls just in case I get stung and have a bad reaction and I agree with him. Maybe if you have someone with you, even if they are not a beek they might transfer confidence.

I spent the entire summer fighting my fear, and walking away from incomplete inspections, and now I know one of the contributing factors was also wasps. It's such a crap feeling ...

And it was harder when I read my records from last summer, and all I was gabbing on about last season was how lovely and calm the bees were and how easy it all was. Ha!

Edited to add: I'm also glad I'm not the only one who gets incredibly saddened when seeing a bee forcing a wasp out of the hive, only to get attacked by 2 more and slowly beaten to death. Terrible thing, and how do you stop it!?

Last edited:
I hope its all going well for you now. I still feel really nervous going into my hive and I have just walked away a couple of times, I am so confident when I'm with others but maybe its all just a bluff! My hubby insists that I am not alone when looking at my girls just in case I get stung and have a bad reaction and I agree with him. Maybe if you have someone with you, even if they are not a beek they might transfer confidence.

I made the decision to always make sure there were other people around when I go near the bees. I've never been stung, so anything could happen. Everyone else was unavailable, so I had to make a decision. I sat my eldest down, he's very mature for his age, and talked him through what to do if the worst happened, took some anti histamine, and took some liquid and tablets with me, and he brought his mobile ( his is much better than mine lol )

Maybe all this was at the back of my mind when I tried. He stayed in the school grounds and watched from afar. The school is being done up so there were workmen nearby too. Still too much for me I'm afraid. I went back today and they were back to normal, hardly any around the landing board, and hardly any wasps. They bunch when the wasps are present in larger numbers, so they seem to be being efficient. Back to foraging today. I feel much better now knowing that sneaky gap has gone.

Thanks again Al :)

Latest posts

Back