I don't like honey!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowpenguin,

Ahh, a plastic Dartington!

Not sure whether I would leave honey boxes on over winter. The design is for a little different operation than other hive types. 14 x 12 frames in the brood are more than enough for over-wintering and those 1/2 super honey boxes are thin - I don't know how well they would be insulated and with them on there is the possibility of more unwanted ventilation.

Ask Robin, he will have far more idea than me, but I would certainly not be leaving all the crop on the hive!

Regards, RAB

Honey

Well, I love HONEY!, espically when blended with a fine single malt IRISH WHISKEY, my God such a treat in the depths of winter...

Need I say more... in fact I think I'll have 1 now - CHEERS!!:cheers2:

Busy Bee:party:

I have local people buy honey off me who say they don't really like honey, but they take it for their hayfever. I tell them I'm a bit offended and I am not sure it works for hayfever, but they still buy it. Not sure if they think I'm joking! One woman goes through 2 jars a week and I charge her £5 a jar.

Polyanwood, the hayfever thing might have some truth to it. My wife had the same mentioned to her (by the local doc I think). The honey has local pollen in it, eating the honey exposes to that pollen and builds a degree of desentisation to local fauna hence reducing symptoms. Only works if there is a high degree of match I am guessing and could only give a seasonal protection.

Polyanwood, the hayfever thing might have some truth to it. My wife had the same mentioned to her (by the local doc I think). The honey has local pollen in it, eating the honey exposes to that pollen and builds a degree of desentisation to local fauna hence reducing symptoms. Only works if there is a high degree of match I am guessing and could only give a seasonal protection.

Hi Rosti it all depends on what triggers your wifes hayfeaver if its a certain flowering plant then it may help but if it is grass pollen as most hayfeaver is and we know the bees dont collect this but the honey may contain small amounts?
Its a bit like a little bit of something that makes you feel good is not bad for you or at least thats what I always tell myself

Tom, you have probably got a point there! Sounds like the hayfever marketing ploy classifies as "close but no cigar"

RAB,
I have taken off frames of solid stores- brick hard-and bees grabbing the syrup as soon as on- and at an out apiary bees died noses in comb but solid store there- I am not prepared to take a chance. Easier to add syrup than get a new colony started.

Latest posts

Back