I am hoping I have enough bees for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I treated my bees today with OA and I am hoping there are enough bees to last the winter. I started with the bees late on in the year they were on super frames which I put in a brood box [there probably wasn't enough time for them to switch to full frames] they have gone down filling the brood box, so I am hoping all is well and they have enough stores. I took a couple of photo's while treating here they are, when its warmer I will be able to sort it all out but what do you think their chances are of survival over the next couple of months . Thx

Im new to bees, just wondering if all that comb is usual after winter?

Rink, looks like you've spread the frames a bit since I went through the box with you in late summer so they've filled the gaps with brace comb. Forumers can play spot the elastic band too from the comb we tied in :D. Did the worst of our hives here today so you picked the best of the weather certainly...

You did treat with Apiguard in around September? The box is still quite heavy, right? These bees were packing in HB when last seen and pretty solid with stores. If you're in any doubt about weight, put a bit of fondant over the hole in the crown board under a take-away container (under your insulation or set into it depending what you've used if any).

If you've done all this then not much you can do except checking on the fondant every fortnight perhaps and waiting for Spring. And if you need help with changing the combs etc just shout.

Rink, looks like you've spread the frames a bit since I went through the box with you in late summer so they've filled the gaps with brace comb. Forumers can play spot the elastic band too from the comb we tied in :D. Did the worst of our hives here today so you picked the best of the weather certainly...

You did treat with Apiguard in around September? The box is still quite heavy, right? These bees were packing in HB when last seen and pretty solid with stores. If you're in any doubt about weight, put a bit of fondant over the hole in the crown board under a take-away container (under your insulation or set into it depending what you've used if any).

If you've done all this then not much you can do except checking on the fondant every fortnight perhaps and waiting for Spring. And if you need help with changing the combs etc just shout.

Thanks T

I haven't moved the frames they must have done it themselves :beesmillie :smilielol5
I must have picked up on your thoughts today then glad I have treated them and its out of the way. Yes I did treat with apiguard and the hive does feel heavy still. The only insulation they have is a couple of news papers then the lid ,I have made a small frame around the outside of the hive so all the rain misses the hive completly but its still plenty open for the bees to come in and out. You will definately hear me shouting for your help come spring , thank you so much for all your help it is very much appreciated

Bees have a unique ability to survive. If you have enough honey, they will spend the winter successfully. This picture shows that they have honey, but do not see exactly how.

This is what hap0pens to elastic bands when left to the bees :)

Randomshots014.jpg

VM

Thanks T
Yes I did treat with apiguard and the hive does feel heavy still. The only insulation they have is a couple of news papers then the lid ,I have made a small frame around the outside of the hive so all the rain misses the hive completly but its still plenty open for the bees to come in and out. You will definately hear me shouting for your help come spring , thank you so much for all your help it is very much appreciated

Thought as much....these are one spoiled hive with quite the poshest enclosure to make them fly up ever :)

And forget the fondant for now; as long as the hive doesn't seem to have condensation don't panic. So what you have built this time sounds like a WBC mod ;)!

And it's a pleasure...worrying about 18 instead of 17 over winter's no big deal :nature-smiley-011::eek:

Back