I’m on my way!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an example; what cohort is it really that did the whole matchstick argument thing? The newbies or the "more experienced" of the group?
No-one on here I can think of would advocate "matchstick ventilation" it's an old and out-of-date concept sadly still taught by some outside this forum. Unfortunately that means some new beeks arrive thinking it is a good idea. It may be being taught by "older" beekeepers, but not the ones on here!

No-one on here I can think of would advocate "matchstick ventilation" it's an old and out-of-date concept sadly still taught by some outside this forum. Unfortunately that means some new beeks arrive thinking it is a good idea. It may be being taught by "older" beekeepers, but not the ones on here!
I think you've missed the pirate's point.

From my own observations, you are one of those I consider to be the problem with a certain cohort of well aged beekeepers.

Let's be honest. It's boxes and bees, its not difficult. Not one person has the right answer (though you like to beleive you do as you have just demonstrated). We all just do our thing our way. The difference I observe in generations is that the younger ones like to try new things and are well versed in sharing skills and ideas. Those of your make up don't. You like to do things your way and show resentment to someone doing it their way.

That's just my personal observation.
You are quite wrong. I’m 73. There are lots of beekeepers older than me here. This forum is one of innovation much of it driven by us older cohort.
I was one of the first beekeepers to vape Oxalic as my single varroa control in 2008. I had all my bees in poly the year after.
Now let’s remember this is the beginners section which isn’t a place for personal insults.

Exactly.
And yet the person who used that as an example was also bashing youngsters, whilst in the same breath using a fine example of old beekeepers nonsense.

Another fine example is to search this forum for poly hives. Go back 7/8 years and see many of the same people who are on this very thread dismiss thenidea of new fangled poly hives without even trying them! How does that view stand today?

I seem to recall a good few new beekeepers recently who have been bounces from this forum. One person simply shared their plan for the year, which whilst ambitious was admirable. But no, you lot ALL jumped on that person and they seemingly decided to exit. By your accounts this person must have given up? I would wager that they haven't given up, instead they just chose one of the many different methods youngsters use to share and communicate their ideas in this digital world.

Meanwhile, this forum hasn't been able to raise more than £500 towards their creaking server. Compare that to a very recent and much younger person who has just this week started a new "forum" that has huge uptake, all cloud based and far outstripping this rather ancient physical based server.

You have to admit, times change, and no quicker than they do today. The way this group carries on, resembles to me that of a drone laying queen. Your numbers are dwindling and will eventually reach the unsustainable downfall. Primary reason? You don't keep up with the times and newbies appear to be sport for you, u less they follow your specific advice.

You are quite wrong. I’m 73. There are lots of beekeepers older than me here. This forum is one of innovation much of it driven by us older cohort.
I was one of the first beekeepers to vape Oxalic as my single varroa control in 2008. I had all my bees in poly the year after.
Now let’s remember this is the beginners section which isn’t a place for personal insults.
Exactly!
I am wrong!
You, of course are right!

That is the point I am making.

Exactly.
And yet the person who used that as an example was also bashing youngsters, whilst in the same breath using a fine example of old beekeepers nonsense.

No, he wasn't. He was using it as an example of what a new beek may have learnt before joining the forum, and hence an idea the forum may be able to help correct.
On text based fora it is necessary for all to read carefully what is said and how it should be interpreted.

Compare that to a very recent and much younger person who has just this week started a new "forum" that has huge uptake,
There is an irony here.
This much younger person cut his beekeeping teeth here on this forum

From my own observations, you are one of those I consider to be the problem with a certain cohort of well aged beekeepers.

Let's be honest. It's boxes and bees, its not difficult. Not one person has the right answer (though you like to beleive you do as you have just demonstrated). We all just do our thing our way. The difference I observe in generations is that the younger ones like to try new things and are well versed in sharing skills and ideas. Those of your make up don't. You like to do things your way and show resentment to someone doing it their way.

That's just my personal observation.
You are funny. ‘It’s boxes and bees, it’s not difficult….’ ?? LMAO at that one. Probably one of the reasons the more experienced beeks despair at some newbies.

Let's be honest. It's boxes and bees, its not difficult..
Just in case you are lurking whilst on "holiday", you're right - it is just boxes & bees.
The boxes are simple, though better or less suited to bees/beekeepers depending on design.
The bees are complex, very complex, and clearly much more so than you realise when you say "it's not difficult". You have evidently not kept bees for long if at all! They surprise even the most experienced beekeepers at times - though much less than inexperienced beekeepers. One of the reasons this forum exists - to let the experienced help us less experienced. Personally I only have 10-12 years, so maybe getting the hang of it from time to time - not counting last year!!!

Pollen Pirate is right. Lke any new hobby there is a whole new terminology to learn that feels like a foreign language at the start, but once that is out the way it really is not difficult. Bees are quite capable of looking after themselves, they've had millions of years practise at it.

No, he wasn't. He was using it as an example of what a new beek may have learnt before joining the forum, and hence an idea the forum may be able to help correct.
On text based fora it is necessary for all to read carefully what is said and how it should be interpreted.
Thank you for understanding the core message Sutty. It seems our numbers have recently increased by a new entrant determined not to read the words actually written but demonstrate entitlement to have his/her say.
Exactly.

Another fine example is to search this forum for poly hives. Go back 7/8 years and see many of the same people who are on this very thread dismiss thenidea of new fangled poly hives without even trying them! How does that view stand today?

I seem to recall a good few new beekeepers recently who have been bounces from this forum. One person simply shared their plan for the year, which whilst ambitious was admirable. But no, you lot ALL jumped on that person and they seemingly decided to exit. By your accounts this person must have given up? I would wager that they haven't given up, instead they just chose one of the many different methods youngsters use to share and communicate their ideas in this digital world.

Meanwhile, this forum hasn't been able to raise more than £500 towards their creaking server. Compare that to a very recent and much younger person who has just this week started a new "forum" that has huge uptake, all cloud based and far outstripping this rather ancient physical based server.

You have to admit, times change, and no quicker than they do today. The way this group carries on, resembles to me that of a drone laying queen. Your numbers are dwindling and will eventually reach the unsustainable downfall. Primary reason? You don't keep up with the times and newbies appear to be sport for you, u less they follow your specific advice.
I'm not getting into a game of table tennis arguments with yet another idealistic new member. I try not to break the laws of science with my beekeeping but I'm not averse to adopting new ideas which have logic based reasoning behind them. Likewise I don't promote methods which have come along and been detrimental to colonies. On that basis some new ideas are worthy of being questioned, some are worth a watch and see approach. I gather you're now on holiday so I'll leave it there. 😉

Pollen Pirate is right. Lke any new hobby there is a whole new terminology to learn that feels like a foreign language at the start, but once that is out the way it really is not difficult. Bees are quite capable of looking after themselves, they've had millions of years practise at it.
Yes but bees have only had humans interfering by putting them in a box for 150 years or so, a tiny fraction of their existence. what you describe isn't beekeeping (to the majority of people) - there is no need for any human involvement if one provides a container of any sort and lets them get on with it. Its ultimately alien to the bees preferred environment and therefore influences behavior. That horse has long since bolted

Thank you for understanding the core message Sutty. It seems our numbers have recently increased by a new entrant determined not to read the words actually written but demonstrate entitlement to have his/her say.
used to be called a troll in the old days

If only that were true. Unfortunately, humans have to help bees to cope with our own stupid mistakes, like introducing non native species to their detriment - mites, beetles, hornets etc.

Back