How's the summer flows going?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm telling you guys your all playing with fire , yes of course try your best to keep your bees inspected for AFB and EFB,but if you found some wouldnt it be more beneficial just to go see your neighbouring keeper and inform them over a cuppa , theres no doubt you all know each other in the area. The sinister side of these organisations is who I getting access to all this data also? All of a sudden you will find you need a license to to treat for varroa,a license to keep a hive , a mandatory inspection once a season costing a shilling. Nothing is free in this world, even control.
This, absolutely!
We all know beekeepers are independent minded mavericks working in small unconnected cells sneaking around the countryside practicing perverse rituals with arcane equipment and concoctions.
Beebase is a data mining front for the men in white coats who will round us all up at the first sign of revolution.

There seems to be a common thread of paranoia in these posts. As a bee keeper of only 18 months with one hive and little experience, I was notified that there is EFB within 3km of my apiary. Was I worried about Big Brother? Was I concerned that men in white coats bearing straitjackets would cart me off in the dead of night? Of course not. I revised identification of EFB, inspected my colony (finding none, thank goodness), and am alert to its presence on every inspection. I would hate to think that other bee keepers in the area would conceal the presence of such a disease, and am thankful that BeeBase uses the technology available to keep my bees safe.

BeeBase is the website of the National Bee Unit, a part of APHA, which is answerable to DEFRA, so yes, we have to abide by UK legislation as directed.
I know who Beebase are, but if it is not compulsory to sign up to them, how could they claim a legal basis , through DEFRA, to demand the destruction of private property? I look forward to that court case.
I also note that you say 'we.' I think it might be time to 'De-We' myself from a situation that could destroy all my hard work and considerable investment, whilst the unregistered hive owners make money I hoped to eventually start getting back.

There seems to be a common thread of paranoia in these posts. As a bee keeper of only 18 months with one hive and little experience, I was notified that there is EFB within 3km of my apiary. Was I worried about Big Brother? Was I concerned that men in white coats bearing straitjackets would cart me off in the dead of night? Of course not. I revised identification of EFB, inspected my colony (finding none, thank goodness), and am alert to its presence on every inspection. I would hate to think that other bee keepers in the area would conceal the presence of such a disease, and am thankful that BeeBase uses the technology available to keep my bees safe.
One hive.....a colony of bees.....plus related equipment. £1000 tops?
Equipment-wise, I have Fifteen Paradise hives, 12 new Abelos, 15+ Nucs and a fair amount of old wooden nationals. I have two swienty suits, plus loads of other PPE. My yearly spending on 'consumables' is pretty high. For example, I spent over £500 on frames and foundation alone. I currently have just over twenty colonies. My expansion has not been what I expected this year, but I know that's the way it goes!
This year will see me at least make some money back and next year, all things being well, I may be in a reasonably comfortable position.
However, this time next year I could be 'bee-less' as well, due to the situation I am in! I would not say I am 'paranoid' as the threat is very real to me. Look on the bright side though? You may be able to pick up some 'nearly new' hives for next to nothing! :laughing-smiley-014

Attachments

• newabels.jpg
    newabels.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Mt seasonal bee inspector is amazing, she inspects every hive that is register in the 3Km area. We are verry lucky to have one of the best in the UK in our area.

Having suffered from EFB and imported bees, I must be lucky.

My regional bee inspector now a seasonal has inspected all my hives, when it came to the EFBI had it about 6 years ago across to large overwintered apiaries of 48 in one and 46 in the other, in each apiary she found just a couple of infected hives, I took the decision to cull the lot rather than chase it round all season and spread it to the other local beekeepers.
When it cam to the packages, they arrived on a Sunday afternoon to my base 400 of them she again came to me and inspected everyone over a day and half.

This year was the same, inspected in Italy, inspected in Ireland and then I requested a local check and again she didn’t bat an eyelid, came out and inspected them all as she does with our queens, we also send the cages and packaging to NBU. It means we can move the stock on more quickly with confidence.

Ask is all we need to do.

Yes, sadly.

the thought of being some sort of super spreader was so hard to come to terms with, it set me back but we recovered.
Some other beekeepers could have lost all their hives.
The annoying thing was it was all caused by a beekeeper who had been inspected and destroyed, he forgot to tell he had moved half his hives to another site only to move them back again ☹

Well you know the answer is DASH
I deal in cryptocurrency, but not in DASH. They do run an efficient open-source blockchain algorithm though, so are worth a look in the rather depleted market at the moment? :geek:

[QUOTE="CaptainCymru, post: 77
Well in which case bee base is hopeless then anyway ,

Correct answer , anything Elon Musk gets involved in , I.e crypto, you know it's a scam 😂
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm.....Elon Musk.....like the man his company is named after....TESLA. Both forward thinking mavericks who do/did live on the edge, but get/got things done!
Hmmm.....Crypto currency. The off-shoot of advanced block-chain technology. Yes, there are scams, but it's here to stay I'm afraid. Next time that you buy an item on Amazon that originally comes from say.....China. Just remember that you are using block-chain technology, to make your payment seem effortless and the delivery seamless. These 'scam' coins are used to pay for the services that are required to create such feats. They bypass ordinary banking systems and slow, tax creating, goliaths. I can't think why governments and banks are so 'agin em!'

[QUOTE="CaptainCymru, post: 77

Correct answer , anything Elon Musk gets involved in , I.e crypto, you know it's a scam 😂
Hmmm.....Elon Musk.....like the man his company is named after....TESLA. Both forward thinking mavericks who do/did live on the edge, but get/got things done!
Hmmm.....Crypto currency. The off-shoot of advanced block-chain technology. Yes, there are scams, but it's here to stay I'm afraid. Next time that you buy an item on Amazon that originally comes from say.....China. Just remember that you are using block-chain technology, to make your payment seem effortless and the delivery seamless. These 'scam' coins are used to pay for the services that are required to create such feats. They bypass ordinary banking systems and slow, tax creating, goliaths. I can't think why governments and banks are so 'agin em!'
[/QUOTE]

Yes blockchain tech, great , but then , digital tokens with funny dog meme printed on them , you carry on son 😂

By the way ,look into where teslas revenue comes from mostly , selling carbon/green credits given to them by the Californian government for nada,then sold on to the likes of Toyota.

Anyway , as earlier stated , we digress, back to summer flows

Last edited:

I had my first SBI inspection a few weeks ago (triggered by a local EFB find).

I had very low expectations, but in fact the SBI was efficient, helpful and careful with my bees. I came away a great fan of the system, and I very much hope, for the health of my bees, that there are no local beekeepers who are not registered on Beebase. In reality know there will be, which is a shame.

Anyone in the London suburbs can comment on the flow in their area? The limes are going over now (not that I’ve seen much on them) with the exception of a couple of the more ‘shiny leaf’ limes that are just coming into flower. Not much in the way of sweet chestnut around and the area, including the many parks, are just too manicured to have much bramble or other ‘weeds’.

Latest posts

Back