How to stop bees drowning in syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
match stick floats. craft shops sell bags of them. reduced it to virtually zero deaths.

I'll try that too. I've been to see how it's doing (with the dishcloth) today and they're absolutely packed in there. The syrup is being taken much more quickly than when it was open access to them, so bang goes my trickle theory. For a minute I was freaked out thinking they were crushing each other in the scramble and then relieved when I realised they could wriggle out when they were full.

If I understand correctly the English feeder is a larger version of the old "Donut" type feeder, reservoir with a raised dome in the middle where the bees enter...

My suggestion is to take a piece of bandage (I think its called crepe bandage - the fluffy stretchy type) wrap it around the outside of the cone area coming up, use a paper clip or pin to hold in place. Bandage must come all the way to the top, even hang over a bit. +- 10mm (3 or 4 turns around will be fine) The bandage acts as a wick and draws up the syrup, bees congregate on top and suck up the syrup... this also offers a decent grip to get out when you have those "kamakazi runs" for sugar
NB! Elastic bands didnt work to hold in place, bees bite through...
I'm also told fluffy sock leg part also works..

Give it a try, sometimes its the simple things that work the best.

Odd time of year to be feeding, did you take all the honey?

We're just mid-June/early July beginners with one weak and one phenomenally strong nuc. I'm simply wanting more comb to be built; where it then gets filled with syrup doesn't cause me any angst this year as we won't be scoffing any of it. Next year I hope I can avoid the feeders. :)

My friend had this problem with her bees only there were a load of dead bees in the feeder part itself and we couldn't figure out how they got in there as the lid was well fitting and the cup pushed right down. We summised that there must have been a stampede of hungry bees causing those at the front to be drowned and presumably shrink when dead and get pushed under the gaps at the bottom into the feeder itself. I saw a youtube video suggesting using a cut off cuff of a sock over the cone which draws the syrup up and the bees can feed from the whole surface of the sock cuff and not just around the edge of the syrup. This worked and she had no more dead bees.

Back