How to spoil a nice day.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Email from Bee Base.

This email has been sent out as part of a 'disease alert' service to beekeepers, implemented by the National Bee Unit (NBU). At the end of each day, beekeepers will be notified if they have an apiary that is within 3KM of a new disease outbreak.

Please be advised that today 20/06/2013, the following disease has been confirmed within 3KM of one or more of your apiaries:

Disease Diagnosed: European Foulbrood (EFB)
Your Apiaries At Risk: Home

I have had the same e-mail the last 5 years I know the chap with the problem as well.

Be a bit better if they gave a rough location so you'd know where not to move hives to.
Checking on the site says that EFB has been found in the last 90 days within 5km..

Last edited:
I have had the same e-mail the last 5 years I know the chap with the problem as well.

Has no one tried to sort the problem out in the last five years?

Far better to know than left in the dark.

Expect a knock at the door Dishmop.

Yep they have shook swarmed scorched and so on

There was a reoccurring case over this why some years ago, same guy every time, apparently he'd been feeding his bees shop bought honey according to the ex SBI. Stopped feeding them honey cured problem or was something else at play .....?

Be a bit better if they gave a rough location so you'd know where not to move hives to.

Dishmop you shouldn't be moving them anywhere until you have the all clear, your local inspector will be along shortly to advise you.

I get this warning every year at one of my apiaries. I used to really, really worry and bought tweezers and tests and would check any twisted looking larvae, but although SBI has looked at that apiary every year it has always been fine.

By asking your buddies who also has had the alert and using a map and a compass, you can usually work out more or less where the outbreak is. I would not borrow a frame of young brood or do a cut out from the area.

Time to be extra fresh and clean - scrub or change gloves and hive tool between colonies. Use different beesuit for different apiaries and dip wellies in bleach solution.

Finger crossed

Oh dear, it's that UK thing again.

It is just a little strange that only the UK is concerned by it.....

....still as I've said before, being in a minority of one doesn't make you wrong.

Chris

Are there no bee inspectors, standstill notices and compulsory shook swarms, incineration of bees in their boxes in France?

By adding new apiaries to your details you can find out roughly which direction the problem is, and then delete them

Are there no bee inspectors, standstill notices and compulsory shook swarms, incineration of bees in their boxes in France?

Yes of course there are "inspections" BUT AFB is the only notifiable issue and shook swarm is often the course of action with burning of infected frames.

EFB is considered to be relatively harmless and it is generally assumed that most strong colonies will normally get over it by them selves.

What else is there?

Chris

... I would not borrow a frame of young brood or do a cut out from the area.

Time to be extra fresh and clean - scrub or change gloves and hive tool between colonies. Use different beesuit for different apiaries and dip wellies in bleach solution.

Yes, 'getting the email' is a powerful reminder of the need to reconsider one's biosecurity.

Visitors with dirty beesuits and leather gloves should never be welcomed ...

Yes, 'getting the email' is a powerful reminder of the need to reconsider one's biosecurity.

Visitors with dirty beesuits and leather gloves should never be welcomed ...

I never allow anyone else near my colonies, certainly not Bee-keepers. I even restrict "the inspector" to two hives away from the main groupings.

Chris

Latest posts

Back