How to move a frames of eggs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testka

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,
I am going to try a bit of queen rearing this year and will at some stage need to move a frame of eggs between apiaries. The donor hive is some miles away from the hive I wish to use to raise the new queens. Any suggestions how best to move the frame of eggs? I was thinking wrapping in a towel, placing in a freezer bag to keep in the heat/moisture and move. I'll be going between apiaries by the great London underground.

Any advise would be appreciate.

Thanks.

it's usual to use a warm, wet, towel, to keep up the humidity as well

I've never done it but my dad used to moved the odd frame in a similar way as you are describing although he was only taking them 15 mins away. He would use a moist towel, not dripping as you don't want the eggs to dry out. Other than that I don't know but will be interested to hear others views on this one.

Cut a piece of comb, put it into plastic bag and keep it between your shirt and skin.

thanks all for th suggestions so far. i would like to keep the frame intact if possible as will be cutting it into a miller type pattern.
i could cut out a piece as suggested as a last resort. i estimate the journey between apiary will take around one hour.

any other suggestions?

thanks

sent using tapatalk

Eggs are supposed to be pretty robust and - in the past - have been sent by mail. Larvae need some protection. I have a two frame nuc with a carry handle. I put the frame in it, wrapped in a damp tea towel and place a large flat pre-warmed (in hand hot water) freezer block alongside. One hour should be no problem at all.

The two frame nuc is one of the most useful things I've built - perfect for keeping the queen in safely (on her frame) when doing large manipulations of he hive.

If the frame was wrapped up and put in one of those insulated 'freezer' bags most supermarkets sell and with a couple of one off hard warmer each side of it...

I have read that eggs are a lot more tolerate of cooling so long as they don't keep moist.

Good luck, let us know if it works.

Mike.

Warmed cool box, but if just eggs, you could even post them snail mail, I guess, and they would likely be viable. So as long as they are not very seriously chilled, no real problem at all.

RAB

move the donor hive to the queen rearing apiary.....?

at the moment the donor hive is my only full production hive at this location. the bees are however gentle and productive. moving a frame seems the easier solution.

thanks for the suggestion.

sent using tapatalk

warm damp towel.

in the past american visitors to UK have successfully flown back to USofA with combs of eggs.

Rather surprised they allow that. They don't let you import apple pips or orange pips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstitson
warm damp towel.

in the past american visitors to UK have successfully flown back to USofA with combs of eggs.

Silly Bee:
" Rather surprised they allow that. They don't let you import apple pips or orange pips. "

I'm not sure it became widely known until long after the event. A few eggs in comb hidden on someones person in the days when there wasn't much security, quite possible. (I do not condone it though)

With the money which you use driving car for eggs, you can by 3 ready queens or let your friend rear them.

It is very expencive to rear some queens. The price is terrible. Don't say that money means nothing..

Last edited:
at the moment the donor hive is my only full production hive at this location. the bees are however gentle and productive. moving a frame seems the easier solution.

thanks for the suggestion.

sent using tapatalk

Raise the cells in the "production" colony, cage the cells before the virgins emerge and then transport the virgin queens to the mating apiary.

Latest posts

Back