How to move a frame 6 miles ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all.. Housed a large swarm which I have put in my new apiary.. Alas first bees to go to this apiary.. I put them into a BB with 6 frames foundation and a queen excluder on the floor so to keep her in, if she is there...which by the way they are bearding on the front of the hive I don't think she is. I took a quick look inside last night and there were no bees inside they were all on the front of it.

As these are the first bees into this new apiary I have a dilemma... I would like to put a test frame with eggs and brood in from one of my colonies nearest is 6 miles away..

How or what is the best way to transport a frame without it getting chilled too much ? I have a poly nuc I can use to transfer it with adhered nurse bees and pray it doesn't get chilled or is there a better way?

Of course cooler weather isn't going to help much either I doubt :(

BIAS is tougher than you think.
I would put the frame in a small nuc box with dummys either side to keep it stable, in the well of my car, passenger side, heating on gently - and go.
If OMF in Nuc, maybe a half filled hot water bottle under box, but really think will be ok.

The queen may be on the wrong side of the queen excluder. Also if you house a swarm don't leave any empty space in the hive as the bees will start to build comb in it before starting on your foundation. You can move a frame with eggs some distance by wrapping it in a slightly damp warm towel but obviously no bees. If the frame also contains brood then some may survive and some may not.

If the bees are still on the outside of the hive I would give them the frame of brood fill the gaps with frames put the bees inside the hive and remove the queen excluder. Also a bit of syrup would be a help.

Bet she is in there.. just being reluctant to go in. Insist! Maybe second box, and bang the bees in from the first.
Don't know how experienced you are , Tony. If any help wanted, I am not far away.

She may well be but not one be inside box although they may have gone in over night..I'm doubtful she is there as they were a cut out from a small porch roof and not a very happy bunch. Fingers crossed though worst case I'll have to get a queen in, test frame first me thinks :) worth a go!

Ahh! A cut out, not a swarm. The mud is clearing!

A frame of drawn comb amongst that lot would not go amiss. Were there no frames made up with the cut-out comb with brood? Seems to be a little peculiar way to go on. And yes, it is highly likely there is no queen there.

Well it was really a swarm that had moved around a street for 2 days before I was called, by the time I was there it had mostly moved into the roof space of a porch...very small but of comb but no brood in it. So not essentially a cut out to the true sense of the word.

Latest posts

Back