how small an area is suitable

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have recently moved and have brought my two hives with me. I had a new site arranged for them to move to in the spring - but due to the weather I think it will be unlikely I will ever be able to move them there. When I moved in November I placed them in a temporary position beside my new house - south facing wall - in an area about 3 metres by 4 metres - one side is the wall and the other three sides are 6 ft high fences. They seem to have survived the move and appear very busy and active whenever we have a few hours of sunshine. I have fed them fondant and they seem quite happy. What do you think about keeping them in such a small area - there are neighbours , but they are some distance away - and there are lots of well stocked gardens. I dont want to take the fences down as we have grandchildren. Any thoughts on keeping them in such a small space for the rest of the year.

They should be fine the fact that they have a 6' high fence to fly over your
Nobody will know that they are yours.

I have recently moved and have brought my two hives with me. I had a new site arranged for them to move to in the spring - but due to the weather I think it will be unlikely I will ever be able to move them there. When I moved in November I placed them in a temporary position beside my new house - south facing wall - in an area about 3 metres by 4 metres - one side is the wall and the other three sides are 6 ft high fences. They seem to have survived the move and appear very busy and active whenever we have a few hours of sunshine. I have fed them fondant and they seem quite happy. What do you think about keeping them in such a small area - there are neighbours , but they are some distance away - and there are lots of well stocked gardens. I dont want to take the fences down as we have grandchildren. Any thoughts on keeping them in such a small space for the rest of the year.

Mine are in a very similar situation in my garden ... our neighbours are not that close but we do live on an estate ... I don't think my neighbours even know I have bees ! I have a six foot wall behind the hive, a green house to the left, a six foot fence to the right and a workshop in front of the hive and it's partly shaded by trees, although not overhead ! My bees seem quite content with their location ... plenty of forage in a town and fields and railway cutting less than a mile away as the bee flies.

In terms of neighbours, it rather depends upon how well behaved your bees are ... You probably won't know until they start foraging in earnest ... I've got a couple of alternative sites in case I get any problems and it might be prudent to see if you can find some alternative sites just in case. Keep your fingers crossed, it's lovely having your bees on the doorstep - but a terrible time waster !!

i've seen more hives in a smaller space.
really all you need is room to work (plus room for extra boxes when doing A/S etc).
as above the fences are good as they send the bees up and over - above neighbour head height.

I don't think the bees will have any interest in "playing on their own lawn" but will forage far and wide. Your fence will cause them to fly up and over the heads of near neighbours.
If you can keep a straight face let it be known all your bees wear tiny leg rings on etched with your registered number :)

Any thoughts on keeping them in such a small space for the rest of the year.

I live in a terrace and have some of my hives (the most to date is two plus three nucs) between the two houses. The area is about 5' wide and 15' long, with the old ty bach at the end, (I was going to say bottom). It is the walkway from my back door to the garden. The walls of the house and the ty bach push the bees straight up, out of sight. It's great to watch them returning, just dropping out of the sky and manoeuvering to their home colony. It is bliss in the summer when the bees are flying strongly, to walk out through a cloud of bees.

Suffice to say, my neighbours are completely unaware that I have bees there, even though one neighour has a window overlooking the hives, and the other neighbours know what a hive looks like as they have been to see inside the colonies I keep at the bottom of the garden.

As as long as you have a strain of bees that are not defensive, it should be lovely.

More than enough space mrbees2...and the site set up sounds almost perfect as well...i would have no concerns if I were you..

I live in a terrace and have some of my hives (the most to date is two plus three nucs) between the two houses. The area is about 5' wide and 15' long, with the old ty bach at the end, (I was going to say bottom). It is the walkway from my back door to the garden. The walls of the house and the ty bach push the bees straight up, out of sight. It's great to watch them returning, just dropping out of the sky and manoeuvering to their home colony. It is bliss in the summer when the bees are flying strongly, to walk out through a cloud of bees.

Suffice to say, my neighbours are completely unaware that I have bees there, even though one neighour has a window overlooking the hives, and the other neighbours know what a hive looks like as they have been to see inside the colonies I keep at the bottom of the garden.

It would be interesting through binoculars to observe your neighbours' washing lines and see if the bees are sucking moisture and leaving poo-marks!

I agree, but the washing line is midway down the garden - and very rarely used! If there was something to complain about, I would have heard!!!

Is this a record?

100% positive replies so far? Especially for the topic in question.

I see more bumbles than my bees foraging in my garden.

They leave the hive and are up up and away.

Mine are in a very similar situation in my garden ... our neighbours are not that close but we do live on an estate ... I don't think my neighbours even know I have bees ! I have a six foot wall behind the hive, a green house to the left, a six foot fence to the right and a workshop in front of the hive and it's partly shaded by trees, although not overhead ! My bees seem quite content with their location ... plenty of forage in a town and fields and railway cutting less than a mile away as the bee flies.

In terms of neighbours, it rather depends upon how well behaved your bees are ... You probably won't know until they start foraging in earnest ... I've got a couple of alternative sites in case I get any problems and it might be prudent to see if you can find some alternative sites just in case. Keep your fingers crossed, it's lovely having your bees on the doorstep - but a terrible time waster !!
any time with bees is never wasted!!!! LOL

Hi. Thanks to everyone who answered my question - seems you are all pretty much in agreement. Looking forward to a good year. J.

Latest posts

Back