How much do you charge to collect a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my friend Molly (MSTROM on here) tried to help a person behind her allotment remove a swarm from a tree but did not get the queen, it was too high up, so the bees returned to the tree

so when the swarm left to find a new home after a few days ,the person she tried to help reported her to the police as stealing a swarm from the tree while they were at work saying it was worth £1000 ( molly had not even looked at it since the first attemps, it had just buggered off)

the old bill actually interviewed Molly i think under caution and i know definitely she had to make a statement to them but nothing more was done by the police

ohhh is a xwarm of bees was worth £1000 i would charge a penny to collect them but going rate here is £25

Last edited:
Pleased to hear that WM, it's their long tongues that can scoop out a lot of bee's, if the hole is in the right place....or maybe wrong place,perhaps you need to vaporize the woodys with the 270.

Last edited:
only one i have done was out of a old chimney under a roof and i got 150 euro. they were well established and i got about 40 stings for my efforts also some honey and a boost to a stock but alas no queen.

I had an embarrassing encounter last year -spotted a swarm in the air whilst on my way to work and, luckily, was able to watch as they settled and put up a few notices with my phone number, that I was watching the bees and to stay back..... That evening, suitably kitted out we went to pick up a lovely prime swarm - the biggest I've seen so far. Just as we closed the box a local beekeeper turned up - they'd obviously come from his hive as his were the only bees in the area. I did offer to return them but was refused and after a bit of toing and froing (just what is the protocol in that situation?????) went home with the bees and a promise to repay with a nuc later.
The inevitable catch was that I got them settled, went to work the next day and returned to find they'd b***gered off anyway

Last edited:
I had an embarrassing encounter last year -spotted a swarm in the air whilst on my way to work and, luckily, was able to watch as they settled and put up a few notices with my phone number, that I was watching the bees and to stay back..... That evening, suitably kitted out we went to pick up a lovely prime swarm - the biggest I've seen so far. Just as we closed the box a local beekeeper turned up - they'd obviously come from his hive as his were the only bees in the area. I did offer to return them but was refused and after a bit of toing and froing (just what is the protocol in that situation?????) went home with the bees and a promise to repay with a nuc later.
The inevitable catch was that I got them settled, went to work the next day and returned to find they'd b***gered off anyway

He who hives the bees, owns the bees!

still embarrasing tho :)

its the classic, I did a distance collection and the same thing happened, mind you have 2hrs of messing around I was not really interested in any debate - when I got them back you guessed it they flew off next day

I must have had 3-4 collected swarms simply fly off last year

Association asks for £30 donation, no pay, no removal basically (odd exemptions but very few). £20 is donated to the association charity as we are a regisered charity and £10 for out of pocket expenses.

and this is very very cheap. pest control will charge £150 plus for the same thing and we have even mopped up after pest control outfits before now when they have screwed up.

I agree with PH, you should at least cover your costs and some attendances are not always honey bees. I attended a house last year and it was bumble bees, so an hour later I left, obviously no fee but a 25mile round trip. Later I attended another one and an hour later and a small cast, I left

What you are providing is a public service,

BB

i claim I'm to busy and give the number of someone else.....unless i know the person well.
had an incident a few years ago where i went to my apiary, and a skep was just the other side of the fence,i know he/she who collects owns but common decency would suggest leaving a note on one of the hives either thanking me or leave a number, i didn't mind but just thought it a bit rude.
although saying that i have had a time when a swarm was in the apiary but hadn't come from any of the hives, apparently a swarm in flight can come accross flying bees and follow them back, be it by accident or deliberate who knows

i claim I'm to busy and give the number of someone else.....unless i know the person well.
had an incident a few years ago where i went to my apiary, and a skep was just the other side of the fence,i know he/she who collects owns but common decency would suggest leaving a note on one of the hives either thanking me or leave a number, i didn't mind but just thought it a bit rude.
although saying that i have had a time when a swarm was in the apiary but hadn't come from any of the hives, apparently a swarm in flight can come accross flying bees and follow them back, be it by accident or deliberate who knows

Its a common occurrence for swarms to gravitate to established apiaries, possibly their attracted to the smell of other bees, or as you say, follow other bees home or possibly its an evolutionary mechanism - if bees are already thriving in a place then it must be alright

I agree with PH, you should at least cover your costs .... What you are providing is a public service,

BB

As with PH and BB, I am listed on the york site for swarm collection but I will charge fuel expenses. More to the point I have specifically limited the catchment to southern York to avoid an expectation that I'll cover 40 miles to explain to someone what a wasp looks like!

I think its all well and good saying upfront that you'll need expenses but a different matter to obtain them, especially if you aren't removing the problem for the 'client' (who probably thinks you are on a local council retainer or something anyway)

I am registered in this area with the local police forces and councils. A good tip there by the way.

I am not a member of my local associations as sadly neither of them are local to me and an 8o mile round trip is not ont he cards for a meeting these days.

I ask some careful questions before I set out. Are they wasps? Are they bumble bees? and slowly I find out whether they are actually bees at all. and you will be amazed at the general publics ignorance of what a honey bee truly is.

I do charge. What I charge will depend on how difficult it is, and I now have the sense not to perch on scaffolding on top of a ladder. I will say sorry I cannot do that and go. I will not go on roofs now either. My life is more important than a swarm.

It's fun to get them for free but be realistic with yourself and your capabilities.

PH

One farming chap called me and I collected a tricky one from under the guttering. He had so many feral colonies coming from all ways under his 200 yr old house. Bit of bee chat and tuition whilst we waited for them to settle- then took them home.
Next day another call-same chap another swarm, high in a tree- but he had built scaffolding to allow me to reach. 1 minute job- to his disappointment as he wanted to help me, wearing a borrowed veil etc.
2 days later- he called again- another swarm - when I got there (and each time a 20 mile round trip) - he had them boxed up for me waiting on the door step.
Education is a wonderful thing.:hurray: - all primes too....

I ask some careful questions before I set out. Are they wasps? Are they bumble bees? and slowly I find out whether they are actually bees at all. and you will be amazed at the general publics ignorance of what a honey bee truly is. PH

At my association we have a central number and the caller is "quizzed" by the spoc who is an experienced bee keeper. As PH mentions lack of knowledge makes lots of people thinks wasps etc... are honey bees. if it is believed bona fida then the next person on the association swarm list is contacted and asked to deal with it. we have certain protocols to follow as set down by the association to ensure minimum standards are met.

This works very well indeed, it is very fair, an excellent service to members of the public. We have our details listed with the local council and have even hosted training days for the council staff to help them identify honey bees swarms.

In reference to the chap charging £100. I think that is a bargain. although in the advert he/she states that it is for out of pocket expenses and any surplus will be reimbursed. Even if he/she didnt. still a good deal. I say dont undervalue your skills or the amount of cash you invest in your hobby

BB

Being in pest control i personnaly charge £50-00 weather they are wasps need destroying or bees need collecting this is 20 mile radious i allso sub contract to a company they charge £90-00 plus vat

Toby,
What you charge is what you charge. I would expect you to be able to earn a living from your profession. In your role I expect it may be a bit easier "you have a problem? I can sort it".

Whereas beeks are being selective about the type of buzzy insect that is causing concern. Also what the collectors personal situation is I.E "I desperately need bees" or " Gawd, not another swarm!"

Interesting comments

I have just been reading the replies to this question is there a different kind of beekeeper today I find the beekeepers of today very mercenary money comes first in everything. I kept bees for 50yrs sold up 10yrs ago worst thing I ever did, just started up again. We would never have thought of charging to collect a swarm or would I now we loved our craft and if we keep bees I think we owe it to the public to come to their rescue if they are invaded with a swarm it can be very frightening if you are not used to them especially if there are children around it was always and is pleasure and the swarm was a bonus and come on a jar of honey never hurt anyone!

Latest posts

Back