How much do you charge to collect a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how far do you travel for nothing?

Ah yes, didn't think of that, the furthest I have travelled is 12 miles for a swarm.

Do you charge?

Last season I collected 3. I didn't charge because I wanted them. This year I intend to charge/ pass on the collection cost to who ever i give them to.

Hmmmm...

I can see the nothing argument. "I get the swarm....and all is rosy..."

However been there a few times... Swarm has gone... £15 gone in fuel.

Folks, whilst very community minded and all, you need to think about your expenses, and the risks to the passerbys.

Insurance anyone?

PH

Last year I paid to collect two swarms! Next door. Same bush. Cost was a few jars of honey.

Collected quite a few last year.
I ask for a donation to a charity- but if it looks a lower income situation I just don't say.
I crawled though a loft on a steaming hot day to remove a bumble nest before loft was relagged. Chap gave me a quid! I politely said thankyou....

I adverise a £40 callout fee, but rarely ask for it if the bees are local and the people arent idiots

i ask for a contribution to fuel expenses if it's a swarm that can be gathered easily, up to the person if they do or not, I've got potentially either a new colony or bees that will boost an existing colony either way....

If it's not an "easy out" i politely discuss possible options with the person who has reported the swarm, up to them then how they then proceed and down to me if i think i'm capable of removal without risk to me / 3rd party / bees, or not....

apart from chuffing woodpeckers... had a go at 4 hives over at fradley, two of mine and both of andrea's, no major damage, but two hives will need repair...

other than that all's good.

how's things with you?

3 hives. all looking good. Even the old queen is producing. (I think)

I lost a weak nuc that blew over in the bad winds, think it hit the deck and the cluster couldn't re-form, but apart from that OA showed all of mine going strong "so far"

fondant on all hives and they are being hefted regularly

work on the "bee shed" progresses.... :sifone:

Slabs around the hives is ongoing. One hive ready for a new colony.

Have been asked to help set up a couple of colonies for a re-hab outfit.

yep, thankfully the hive that took the worst of it was not a full colony, we'd got it built up to 8 frames as andrea had gotten it late in the season (as had I, a similar one), woody had a "go" at the side where the colony was, then put a two inch hole in the other side and encountered foundation and a dummy board...

all hives at that apiary now have chicken wire over coats

Latest posts

Back