How Many Eyes Has a Bee Got

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought i knew but i did not but now i do, i know its basic stuff but i always jump in the deep end first and try to crawl my way back, come on fellow newbees how many, experts are banned by me from commenting. lol

Depends whether you wish to count each omatidia as a separate "eye". Most don't so usually 5. 2 compound eyes and 3 ocelli.

Great question just looked up the answer would never have guessed .... Every days a school day.

Since Ocelli don't form an image then bees can't use them to perceive one so are they eyes or merely a light receptor which plays a part in adjusting the light and dark adaptation of the compound eyes?

Since Ocelli don't form an image then bees can't use them to perceive one so are they eyes or merely a light receptor which plays a part in adjusting the light and dark adaptation of the compound eyes?
It's a good point but it needs a better definition of what exactly constitutes an eye. A definition of an eye is a light receiving receptacle usually with a lens to focus the light, ocelli focus light so even have a lens. Each omatidia in a compound eye does a similar job (although detects different colours and UV) and each part in itself does not form an image, it's the sheer numbers of them connected into the optic lobe that allows a bee to form an image.

From what i have read up to now the compound eye is a movement censor the others are single lensed like our eye balls , the bees eyes not the compound eye can pick up UV light which aids in there navigation even on cloudy days as uv still penetrates through cloud ,they also use the uv to pick up on certain parts of flowers using these to home in on the nectar spot.
Mad stuff this nature lark.

From what i have read up to now the compound eye is a movement censor the others are single lensed like our eye balls , the bees eyes not the compound eye can pick up UV light which aids in there navigation even on cloudy days as uv still penetrates through cloud ,they also use the uv to pick up on certain parts of flowers using these to home in on the nectar spot.
Mad stuff this nature lark.

Think you have some more reading to do. Biology of the honey bee by Winston should sort you out.

Yes, it's good. Something to do on a winters night when the realization that the idiots lantern is yet again showing a load of twaddle.

Yes, it's good. Something to do on a winters night when the realization that the idiots lantern is yet again showing a load of twaddle.

Sorry i do not understand and i hope i have not offended you in anyway, i have how ever just offended the whole dwelling after applying Aludux to one of my Pooches. lol

Idiots lantern=television set. No offence taken or intended, other than winter is a good time for reading.

Idiots lantern=television set. No offence taken or intended, other than winter is a good time for reading.
I understand now on the lantern side of thing's.. lol ... it's just aswell i dont watch the telly anymore. sheep and more sheep seem to be leading the blind. :rolleyes:

A lot of it about I'm afraid - as with this rather pointless thread when the answer is available by simply Googling!!

A lot of it about I'm afraid - as with this rather pointless thread when the answer is available by simply Googling!!

Yes, but as MasterBK has implied the answer could depend on how you define an eye! Pineal glands and a region of the brain (diencephalon) have been shown to respond to light in some lower vertebrates. Does this mean they are eyes?

eye eye
.ₒ...... ₒ
..\...../
...\ₒₒₒ/
.(ʘ||ʘ)
.... ͝͝

Last edited:
Back