How long in a cluster

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Talking to a mate in cormwall last night (non beekeeper) he says he has a swarm thats been in a tree on his property for over a week ( a week sunday when he first saw it) Is this a record? I always thought that 2-3 days at most and they would be off. he doesnt even know where they have come from. Definately honey bees. been there in rain wind etc. i would have thought they would be getting a bit hungry by now

Phill

"i would have thought they would be getting a bit hungry by now"

they'll have started drawing comb and foraging from that site.

not uncommon for colonies to establish themselves outdoors. plenty of photos have been posted on here.

Hi Phill,
I have collected two swarms that had been clustered in trees for a week. One was sitting there through bad weather and the outer bees on the cluster started to die. Not unusual it seems. I wonder what would happen if they did not get collected? Would they move off eventually?

I had a swarm 70+ft up a tree for 10 days last year...Gradually died as it was torrential rain at the time...and we couldn't reach them at all.

Thanks all. just shows its a continual learning process this beekeeping lark. if thet are still there september whern i go down i will collect them Myself LOL
Phill

I had a swarm 70+ft up a tree for 10 days last year...Gradually died as it was torrential rain at the time...and we couldn't reach them at all.

Why, have you no sense of adventure?:icon_204-2:

Talking to a mate in cormwall last night (non beekeeper) he says he has a swarm thats been in a tree on his property for over a week ( a week sunday when he first saw it) Is this a record? I always thought that 2-3 days at most and they would be off. he doesnt even know where they have come from. Definately honey bees. been there in rain wind etc. i would have thought they would be getting a bit hungry by now

Phill

Last year my record was over two weeks. Too high up to collect. I watched the cluster grow smaller until eventually they moved into a bait hive below them.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back