How long does syrup last??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I made up some 1:1 syrup on Thursday with the intention of using it to feed a swarm I was planning to move into a brood box. However things became a bit hectic here and the weather didn't play ball fully so the the syrup is still sitting in a bucket covered up in my garage.

My question is how long does it last as a suitable feed. I hope to get to do the job tomorrow if it warms up enough. Would this still be ok?

As soon as its made it starts to ferment ... used up by the bees three days ...

Possible scaremongering here.

How was it made?
What strength?
Was it covered?
What is the temperature?
Any 'microbialstat'?
How much did you make?

All useful questions to ask before advocating pouring it down the drain.

If made up at adequate temperature to pasteurise the liquid, sealed in a bucket and kept cold, it will likely not even have started to ferment yet.

If it was sufficiently concentrated, it will likewise be OK.

If it had a suitable fungistat added, it will be OK.

Use it.

RAB

PS. A suggestion for the future, make it up at a suitably high concentration for storage and dilute at time of use.

Last edited:
ok guys

It was 1:1 imperial measurements using water straight from the kettle. 10 pounds and 10 pints and has been stored in a clean plastic bucket covered in a cool garage.

No scaremongering. Read the pdf in the link and make your own mind up. If you are willing to risk the helth of you bees for the cost of 10lb of sugar its up to you. If the link doesn't work Google fat bees skinny bees. It is a pdf done by the Australian government unless they are just scaremongering.

Last edited:
Would you eat something stored in a bucket in the garage for a couple of days? Why should you expect them to?

If you are willing to risk the helth of you bees for the cost of 10lb of sugar its up to you.

I just tipped away what was left over because as the earlier comment stated a bag of sugar doesn't cost the earth.

So sorry to hijack thread if Bees do not touch 1:1 non thmyol syrup after 3'days remove and replace? I just put on 4 pints of 1:1 syrup on two nucs to draw out comb on four frames and it does not look like they have touched it although I have seen bees inspecting it but not in vast numbers like autumn.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back