How late to feed ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Quej

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 (hopefully)
This is my first year so i have started putting 2-1 sugar syrup on two of my hives. They werent particularliy short on stores I dont think but I thought it better to be safe than sorry and I'm not intending to take any honey off them this year anyway so am not concerned with "polluting" any stores with syrup (if thats possible).

i havent fed my third hive yet as this was my original (first) bees bought back in June and they have a half full super of stores already as well as a good supply in the 14x12 brood box (I may even decide to take honey of this hive and feed in the next week or so).

My question is, is there a "cut off" point so to speak, where I can no longer feed 2-1 syrup or is it just dependent on the weather/temperature? if it stays warm enough, could I continue feeding say, up to December (assuming they are still taking it of course)? I've heard a few people say that we be in for an indian summer this year (breath being held) so would this be possible or is it just not done?

Good rule of thumb is to get the feeding done by end of september in your part of Yorkshire. Sometimes you can get away with feeding into october but run the risk that the bees can't reduce the water in the syrup enough at that time of year to get it stored/sealed in the comb. Surely your mentor or beekeeping instructor (leeds BKA are well organised that way I believe) will have gone over the topic of feeding with you.

The problem, for me, at least, is that the varroa control only went in last weekend. 4 weeks of that, and it'll be the very end of September before I can feed.

Should I prioritise feeding, and only have apigard in for 2 weeks?

The problem, for me, at least, is that the varroa control only went in last weekend. 4 weeks of that, and it'll be the very end of September before I can feed.

I am probably wrong on this but i thought you could feed and treat at the same time anyway? My understanding was that you just had to take off any honey you were going to be harvesting, before treating for varroa and that it didnt matter about treating and feeding?

Maybe someone with lots more knowledge could confirm or correct?

Depends on your hives, you can do both at the same time but my experience is that Thymol based treatment often puts them off feeding.

If Varroa counts high treat for that first (the limit here is the 15C needed for the thymol to be effective) if stores very low feed first however you can always feed with candy/fondant later in the year.

Latest posts

Back