How embarrassing ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think the Pilot in command of the vessel made a very quick decision to deliberately go aground and not a deliberate balls up!

Here's something to cheer you all up in these hard times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oST_t2XaBaY

Someone more seamanlike than myself will explain the salty slang no doubt!

James

Wait till high tide, four a day in the Solent I believe?

James

Yes four tides in Southampton Water but not where he has landed ... very shallow big big sandbank right in the middle of the solent. Even at top springs there is not enough water for a vessel with any real draught to go over it. The next full springs is three days away so if they don't get it off then they will be waiting for another full moon.

Main problem will be that it's laying at forty five degrees and its fully laden with cars that may have broken loose and with a load shift they could be in all sorts of trouble. Other issue is that with the sort of momentum a vessel of that size has it may well have pounded itself well up on to the bank and there may just not be enough water, even at high tide and full springs to float it. I've seen yachts stranded on the top of Bramble Bank for a week or more when they got it wrong.

If they don't get it off I suspect that things will only get worse. It must have been something really serious for it to land up there with a Pilot on board.

I bet the first officer is bricking himself - if they find out that cargo shift was to blame for the list.

Turns to port, heels to starboard and doesn't come back, ... a massive decision having to be taken instantly to 'beach' the thing rather than risk a "Free Enterprise" situation. They really must have thought it was on the point of going over.
Something must have shifted to start the dramatic list. My own speculation is more on the ballast tank valves rather than insecure cargo.

Bet everyone is just glad it didn't wait to happen until they were out of the Solent ...

Owners of cargo ship stricken off the Isle of Wight say it was deliberately grounded to stop it from capsizing after it began listing on leaving port

According to BBC news the ship was run aground on purpose because the cargo had shifted?
Looks like it....According to Daily Mail.

My own speculation is more on the ballast tank valves rather than insecure cargo.
Still down to the first and second officers. Wouldn't have thought it's ballast tank problems that would take a bit more time in my view, or would have been evident before leaving Southampton waters. Partial discharge at Southampton would mean more free area for the cars to move maybe vehicles not secured properly after re-trimming

I wonder how many people took a ferry trip so they could take selfies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...orter-cargo-ship-runs-aground-Isle-Wight.html

As someone who has managed to run aground at various times and places in the Solent I have some sympathy but .... How can you hit something as big as the Brambles Bank with something as big as a car carrier and with a pilot on board ???

Possibly by ignoring or overruling the pilot and trying to do too tight a turn to go west through the Solent - a lot of these car carriers do just that, we've seen them crossing through past the end of Hurst Spit.

I wonder how many people took a ferry trip so they could take selfies.
We were down that way anyway, so went to take a look. The roads were chock a block at Calshot, but there was a very good view. No, we didn't take any selfies!

Ha ha ... BBC reports that the 'Master and Pilot executed a deliberate and difficult manoeuvre with great skill and seamanship' when it appeared the ship was about to capsize.

Methinks heads are going to roll when they discover WHY it tried to capsize !

Probably damage limitation by the sound of it, if the vessel was in danger of capsize then the decision to ground regardless of whether it could be easily refloated would have been better than having the vessel end up blocking a major port for maybe months while a salvage took place.
Of course could have had a totally doolally moment and headed for the East Knoll. Be interesting to hear a recording of the VHF traffic for that one.

From the Southampton paper
"Our vessel developed a severe list shortly after she left port and the pilot and the master took the decision to save the vessel and its crew by grounding her on the bank.
"This showed great skill and seamanship on behalf of our crew when faced with such challenging circumstances.
"At this stage it is too early to speculate on the cause of the list but we are starting an immediate investigation.
"Right now we have serious work ahead of us in order to free the vessel from the Bramble Bank without disrupting the flow of traffic in and out of the Port of Southampton.
and this article with video from the same site

I said to my better half only last night that it looked like more than a 45 degree list. More problems if it is 52 degrees at one end and, err, different at the other? Any storms and that could conceivably occur, I would guess!

They will need to remove the cargo, if it is loose and all one side - that lot shifting again, as it is righted, could tip it completely the other way from that angle, I suspect, but 51 000 tonnes of boat rolling from one side to the other may have a huge amount of momentum, without a mere three thousand tonnes rattling around inside it - but enough for the straw that breaks the camel's back in a situation like that

Further, they are going to need minimum weight and ballast to get it afloat, but will need maximum ballast low down, to stop it being top heavy and going over in the other direction. That means, I would think, a very controlled righting to the vertical, followed by blowing all ballast in order to get it afloat and away from the bank. I doubt it is going to be refloated on the next spring tide. More likely that would make things even more difficult!

I can surmise dredgers being needed to remove several millions of tonnes of the sand bank to get the job done safely and in a controlled manner. May cost more than the scrap value of the thing unless the problem is sorted fairly soon, I reckon.

Some of it's cargo is a fleet of Bentleys according to the news this morning.
Someone will have a big bill to pay to sort this mess out .

Latest posts

Back