How does your association look after newbees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I've read a lot on this forum, and in some journals about how some local associations will help newcomers by providing them with splits, (sometimes to be paid back), swarms, etc. to give them a good start. It doesn't happen where I am, how common is it elsewhere?

Our association plans to make nucs up to sell to the beginners. It hasn't happened yet and I think the weather has definitely been against them.One of the members sells nucs too.

When I was first starting I belonged to Kendal BKA in Cumbria and we got free bees.
The member who ran the training apiary was extremely generous with her time and resources and was a great mentor to me.
Inspired by her I hope to overwinter a nuc and give it away to a beginner next year.

I've read a lot on this forum, and in some journals about how some local associations will help newcomers by providing them with splits, (sometimes to be paid back), swarms, etc. to give them a good start. It doesn't happen where I am, how common is it elsewhere?

My local BKA provided nucs at cost to those who went through the beginners course, i.e. we knew just enough to be dangerous. They vetted the nucs to ensure they were healthy and well-behaved. And, of course, the experienced members are very generous with their time and knowledge.

At our beginners practical session today we finished looking through the main hives and then watched the more experienced beeks examining the various nucs that contained the swarms they'd collected over the last couple of weeks. Checking for queens, foundation being drawn, and eggs being laid etc. A couple of them passed muster so they asked who had hives made up, had hive stands in position, and wanted to take away a nuc.

A couple of newbies left the session with their new colonies. It was that simple (and free) with the caveat that the empty nuc had to be back with them within a fortnight as they might need it again.

This does not happen on South Shropshire border.
I am a member of that locale BKA (3rd year member) and must say am not too impressed with certain things, After 3 years I still feel like an "Outsider".
I find this forum the most useful along with reading as much as possible also learn by your mistakes.

Its not always easy !:hairpull:

Who knows! After several visits to monthly meetings I gave up.
It seemed one clique was determined to be noisier than the speakers.

Mine were great, mentor had 8-10 newbees and each got nucs, and some beginners got a second year in the association apiary and from their hives will' donate' nucs this year.
All beginners are encouraged to contactmore experienced keepers if they have issues

After several visits to monthly meetings I gave up.
I've always said That I wouldn't want to be in a club that would want me as a member!
Some of us just don't fit in so accept it and take what you want and don't get het up.
I still go along to our local meetings.

My local association encourages newbees and runs courses for beginners. In fact my mentor is lovely (and easily bribed with home made cake) and 2 out of 3 of my hives of bees came from him (one of them was a nuc and the other a swarm my daughter collected under his supervision) my other hive was a swarm that moved into an old hive my mentor had given me.

It's noticeable at the meetings which of the experienced beeks are the mentors. They try to encourage 'younger' members and we have quite a high proportion of lady beekeepers.

In fact recently there was a day recently for those who had just completed their beginners course and the ex-beginners to get together with the trainers. There was a mix of short talks and practical stuff. The local inspector helped out to so everyone got to meet her too.

Last edited:
Our beginner beeks had a very wide ranging session this afternoon. Each was guided through inspection of their own colony and record card completed. Then a Bailey comb change on an association hive was completed, two more association hives inspected and swarm collection performed from the next field.

Most groups are purely run on a voluntary basis so it depends on how much time and how many volunteers there are. Best advice - get involved and donate some time.

Back