How do you measure success?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A recent thread deals with WHY we keep bees, but I wonder what measures (if any) people use to determine how well they are doing?

My reasons for starting were not initially to make tons of honey. However, as time goes by I am coming around to the view that the best way to gauge success is the average honey yield per colony (hardly a new idea). But to take into account the impact of weather year on year it needs to be compared to the results of other beekeepers in the area. Hence the importance, IMO, of the BBKA honey survey http://www.bcdponline.com/honey13.htm

It is a nice simple measure. It can be used to compare different ideas e.g. queen excluder yes or no? Poly vs wood hives etc

Just wondered - how do people measure "success"? If you don't, how do you know you are improving as a beekeeper, or doesn't that matter?

At this time of year, in my 2013 nuc, bees... Now 11 heaving frames, putting comb everywhere so I may yet give them another frame to draw... Eventually, more broadly, it will be bees and honey: I want to build up my colonies for the foreseeable future, and then start queen rearing and other more advance stuff, but should walk before I try running so let's get to March first...

How do you measure success?

doing what needs doing without being stung ...

In my first year so just get them through the Winter, keep enjoying myself as much as I have so far and anything else will be a bonus.

depends on what you call success

i.e loads of money/honey
being happy bees/self
good health bees/self

Me I woud settle for good health and being happy

Success is continuing to enjoy what I am doing whilst getting enough honey for me for a year ( excess is gratefully excepted). Simple!

measuring success

any winter losses, own swarms lost, queens mated, lbs of honey in buckets, nucs made up, prizes at honey show, beekeeping exam pass, just surviving your first year. take your pick

Seeing a colony start from a few frames and develop into a thriving, seemingly happy, much larger, well mannered colony that have built their own home and stocked it well with honey with very little help from me. If they survive the winter and continue in the same vein next year ... perhaps growing to the size where a second colony can be started (by them .. or me) then that will be my personal measure of success.

If there is a little honey for me next year that would be icing on the cake of success !

Getting my first colony through winter, successfully managing the swarm season and not losing a swarm, giving the split its independence and getting a small honey surplus have been my successes this year.

Next year who knows?

I am considering starting to study for the microscopy module although that does mean I'll have to do the basic exam which I wasn't going to bother with.

Just wondered - how do people measure "success"? If you don't, how do you know you are improving as a beekeeper, or doesn't that matter?

Bees do what they do, with or without human involvement, and have been doing so for millions of years.

So to talk of 'success' in beekeeping is, imho, nothing less than human arrogance - as we do not add anything to their lives, but only take from it.

Thus, there can only ever be 'failure' in beekeeping, when a beekeeper manages to kill them, or stress them, either by ignorance or abuse.

LJ

Bees do what they do, with or without human involvement, and have been doing so for millions of years.

So to talk of 'success' in beekeeping is, imho, nothing less than human arrogance - as we do not add anything to their lives, but only take from it.

Thus, there can only ever be 'failure' in beekeeping, when a beekeeper manages to kill them, or stress them, either by ignorance or abuse.

LJ

Oh no, it's all pointless! :hairpull:

So to answer the question, you don't have any way to measure your success and you can't define what success is wrt beekeeping.

How happy you must be! To live life as a failure.....takes all sorts I suppose

It is an interesting question that has been asked many times as a way of measuring the effectiveness of beekeeper training. Do beekeepers (and their bees) actually improve (or not) after undertaking a course of training? I would hope success would include reduced winter losses, more effective swarm prevention and control, improved ability to select and rear queens leading to more productive, less aggressive and healthier bees

Happiness is: healthy bee colonies and a contented beekeeper.

Almost 91K

That would be about -182 degrees Celsius. Close to liquid oxygen temp!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back