How do you attach polystyrene to your hive??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thicker is better, say 10mm dowel as it gives a greater surface area for the glue. and use an 8mm bit by the way as it reams as it drills.

PH

Nothing as complicated - Duct tape just to hold all 4 pieces together - simples :):)

Ha ha, Duct tape is a good idea, provided you have the arms of an octopus and there is no condensation about. Single handed in less than optimum circumstances, it can turn out to be a bit like a Christmas party game, played slow. You would undoubtedly get there, but the route could be ever so circuitous and full of party fun - every bit of it unanticipated at the outset. :grouphug: :cheers2:

It had the merit of being very simple and full of unexpected entertainment. Take someone with a video camera but decline their assistance with the duct tape and insulation - it's likely to be funnier that way. You could just be very lucky or talented of course, but would need a distinct lack of a breeze for that to matter. :)

Anybody had any funny/frustrating experiences with this sort of thing ? - always best done when the bees are clustered and not actively going to say hello.

One way is to glue geotextile or something onto surface of styroks pieces.

You may glue plastic with polyurethane foam or polyurethane glue.

If you use insulation foam, rub the air bubbles off and push together material.

Surfaces needs a little water mist because polyurethane hardens with water.

Textile protect the board surface and you may use elements several years.

The most important duty of insulation is for spring build upp.

Geotextile1.jpg

Last edited:
Hombre you sound as if you do not believe me - I was not joking:) - I made all my Nucs and their external dimensions are all within 3mm of each other. It was therefore easy to cut, warm and duct tape in the comfort of my workshop. A quick check that it slid on then it was a case of quietly lifting off the roof of the occupied nuc, sliding the poly box on and replacing the roof. I then wrapped the polythene round and tied it in place. I did suit up just in case but not a single bee came out to see what was going on.:):):):)
Still sceptical? - I'll unwrap the polythene and take some pictures if you wish.
:cheers2: Mike

Don't get me wrong MJBee, The workshop made all the difference obviously. I was thinking that you were talking about fitting in situ in the field. I hadn't connected your earlier post saying that you had built the covers. It's all in the perception of the situation.

Can you see how out in the field, with cold, damp and a bit of breeze that it could all become a bit of fun though?

I'm sure that there are one or two that would love to see your pictures although you don't need to take things apart to convince me. I now understand completely what you mean.
I only seem to be a picky B*****d, but really my sense of humour is quite good, if a little dry at times.

I built a squinty (first) 14x12 box and it required duct tape in the summer to ensure it was bee proof when fitting a super (sad confession - not a woodworker, but improving). I couldn't do it very well with the Marigolds on and the bees loved a bare hand frigging about not far from the entrance, constrained by fitting tape to the box. [shame. but I have broad shoulders - responsibility not strength].

Who me a skeptic? - most of the time probably; I must admit to. Cynics aren't just born that way though, tempered by life's rich variety of experience. :)

Latest posts

Back