How can I tell seales brood from stores?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig1961

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi.
A lot going on in the hive today. As I moved them 20 odd miles yesterday I decided to have a look inside to see how they had coped. They are spreading along the frames nicely. Lots of sealed comb.... How do I know if it is brood or stores.
Thanks
Craig.

P.S. I know I should have gone on a course but I have been busy 7 days a week since April.... No time for much at all..... I do find it relaxing sitting and watching the bees come and go though

Thanks again
Craig.

Should read sealed in the title.

Last edited:
stores - white and flat
sealed brood - very slightly domed and like a jaffa cake base
drone brood - as above but sticking out.

from the top

top white capped honey
dark orange pollen arch ( can be any colour red, black, greem yellow as depnds on the plant )
biscuit domed brood ( white larva dotted through out)
a bit of high domed drone just a bottem

and best of luck, you might need it:rolleyes:

Thanks all. Must be stores.
The middle two frames (where they started building) are uneven. As if the first three inces have overlapped into the beespace of the other... Biy like a zigzag... I do not want to pull the frames out as it looks as though the comb is joined and I don't want to tear it apart. Does everyone think everything is normal?

The sooner you can get straight combs the better IMO.

The longer you leave it and the more wax and honey they start to store in and around it, the more disruption it will be when you do take them apart.

The whole premise of a moveable frame hive is so that you can inspect and if need be, manipulate combs with as little disturbance as possible to the bees.

Keeping on top of neat combs and frames is something I try and keep maintained at each inspection.

You might think you're being nice by leaving it there, but when you do have to inspect those frames, it will be messy and disruptive. Just neaten it up and that should encourage them to store/build on another frame. It doesn't have to be there.

Agree with naked beekeeper

i assume your frames look a lot like this, it is normally casued by the frames being too far apart but some bees just seem prone to making it difficult

so next weekend first remove the frames and see if you can even them up, then putting them back and close up as tight as possible

Agree with naked beekeeper

i assume your frames look a lot like this, it is normally casued by the frames being too far apart but some bees just seem prone to making it difficult

so next weekend first remove the frames and see if you can even them up, then putting them back and close up as tight as possible
lol I've seen that before!

I call it a double yoker.:biggrinjester:

I moved them 20 odd miles yesterday

Lots of sealed comb.... How do I know if it is brood or stores.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

So you have already moved your bees 20 miles, yet you don't know the difference in appearance between brood and stores?

Staggering, truly staggering and very, very worrying.

Have you ever considered, even for a brief millisecond, that your bees could be carrying a notifiable disease and that you have just moved that disease into another area that could seriously threaten the health of bees in that area?

At the very least you should have requested an inspection of your bees by a bee inspector before even considering moving them.

Latest posts

Back