Hot smoker in the car?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Father Fox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Any recommendations for transporting an extinguished, but still hot smoker in the back of a car? Wooden box, metal box, what do people use?

Just bung the end with some grass or a cork and it will extinguish the smoker in a few minutes and will be cool enough to handle in 5

I usually have an empty nuc in the back during the season to put all my bits and pieces in (and handy for isolating Q during inspection.)

Last edited:
Of course someone far more expert than us will be along shortly to tell us the correct way to store a smoker in the boot of a car (as long as we think about it first) :D

Of course someone far more expert than us will be along shortly to tell us the correct way to store a smoker in the boot of a car (as long as we think about it first) :D

Well, RAB does have some highly relevant experience!

Any recommendations for transporting an extinguished, but still hot smoker in the back of a car? Wooden box, metal box, what do people use?
I have a water mister available for use on the bees - better than smoke for some tasks.
Anyway, "misting" the outside of a hot smoker cools it quickly (and being warm it dries very quickly).
To make absolutely sure it is 'out', I empty the ash and any residual fuel, before misting the outside of the smoker.
And I mist the pile of hot ash too …

I use an old aluminium ammo box it cost me £5 and it seals closed.

Thinking about it now.............I really don't need to common sense will tell you if it's too hot and the give away is smoke coming out of the top, although I try to keep mine alight when transporting it from apiary to apiary

took a lead from my SBI and use a mini dustbin 25x28cm

Stable bedding; a mixture of flax straw, wood shavings, hay and horse poo. Easy to light, stays alight and cool smoke.

The poo adds a certain je ne sais quoi..

Stable bedding; a mixture of flax straw, wood shavings, hay and horse poo. Easy to light, stays alight and cool smoke.

The poo adds a certain je ne sais quoi..

My last lit smoker stayed smouldering for hours .. in the greenhouse! I'd knocked the cork out when I put it down and it looked like it was out so I left it.
About 3 hours later I came back and it was happily smoking away.

It sits in a metal bucket with the cork tied to the handle with a bit of string.

I always carry a small sprayer full of water: spray the internals of teh smoker after use: job done.

Latest posts

Back