Hot, no flow, scarce water, discuss....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's right and proper and true too talk about bees surviving in other parts of the world that are hotter than this.
However, they are in climates where both flora, fauna and insecta are well adapted.
Our trouble here in the UK is that although our bees might be fine, most of our flora isn't.
Hence the rather brown appearance around the place! :D
There is good evidence to suggest that increased temps lead to an increase nectar flow, but that prolonged water stress will result in a decrease in flow.
Are we other thinking it? Probably.
Is there much we can do about it? Not a lot, but monitor stores.

Well your reputation as a captious prig proceeds you sir. What you have defined above of course can apply to not just a bee keeper (which to paraphrase Python "should not be taken literally but refers to any keeper of honey bees and their products"). Thus, your little list above could of course be employed by keepers of goals, wills and, say, long trousers, though in the latter case your capricious guidance might be problematic.
Philosophically of course its hard to argue with the premise this forum isn't for bees themselves. Ive searched the archives to see if you have picked up some poor beek who who has fallen for your razor like Wildeian wit, the poor dolt, in novice and nervous early days, positing some satirical gobbit about bees being able to read and you pouncing on them like a welsh sabre tooth rabbit. Alas, I could not, but like Wilde you are probably adept at covering your tracks, capping your attacks with the wax of which I (or my bees, or the bees, or all of us, delete as you feel necessary) so desperately yearn.
Here in the cultural wastelands of London, I will extract your useful comments, many thanks.

Slightly off topic Picklechin - but were you privately educated?
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=636748&postcount=3

Maybe lawyers is a collective noun?

it is - men of law, whether they are solicitors or barristers

lawyer
ˈlɔːjə,ˈlɔɪə/Submit
noun
a person who practises or studies law, especially (in the UK) a solicitor or a barrister or (in the US) an attorney.
synonyms: legal practitioner, attorney, legal officer, legal adviser, legal representative, legal executive, agent, member of the bar; informal brief

it is - men of law, whether they are solicitors or barristers

Just won a recent court case against these legal eagles over a 6 year old parking ticket. Case dismissed + Travelling expenses. Debating whether to frame the cheque from them for posterity or spend on champagne....nah no competition...would make a lousy picture.

Hi

I am West London. 6 hives (2 strong, 3 from June splits, 1 NUC). This is new territory for many of us who have "suffered" no rain for over 10 weeks now....

Thought this thread could be good for specific discussion for newbees and experts to share actions.

• Provide water
  • Ensure hives are cool (no inspection board, crownboard ventilated, no blockages on roof)
  • Stores of honey are good (consider rapid feeding if needed?)
  • Pray for rain!
  • Any other tips?

My supers are not filling at all..is there any way to promote wax building so at least we can use efficient energy or will the bees be preserving ALL energy?

Any useful answers, new comments or questions welcomed.....

Cheers

in the last couple of weeks here in Hampshire the flying activity of my own hives has drastically reduced, i conclude less forage available due to the dry weather ,
as i had split my 1 +1/2 hives into 6 and now have 4 newly laying queens, im concentrating on getting them to build comb and building up for winter, maybe further splits next week, feeding syrup as much as they can take, entrances reduced to minimum,

if you have any honey take it and feed them syrup, take advantage of the hot weather they should have no trouble producing new comb but you need to feed them if there is no nectar flow

Something occurred to me as I read this.

If one goes for the local bees are best due to adaption point of view - surely the fact that bees in Australia/other hot area of world survive at high temp does not follow. Our local bees would not be adapted in the same way.

Just a thought and please don't let this spark of another boring squabble about local vs buckfast vs black bees vs natives etc

All this talk of 1976 has sparked many memories. I lived in Oxfordshire in those days; no bees but a keen gardener and that was a challenge. We had a very late frost, in June, and then the heatwave. Serious water shortages ensued, hosepipes were banned and with the Thames drying up at its source we had to return all grey water to the system. Water bowsers and stand pipes were installed in many places over the south and west of England. This followed a hot and very dry 1975 (in our area at least). The day it rained I was shopping in Oxford, and people ran into the street! Nights were very hot too, and it was commonplace for me, and my neighbours, to be doing chores in the small hours as we couldn’t sleep and was at least not as hot as during the day.

Maundering old woman will now desist 😉

If one goes for the local bees are best due to adaption point of view - surely the fact that bees in Australia/other hot area of world survive at high temp does not follow. Our local bees would not be adapted in the same way.
No UK bees of any strain will be "adapted" to this extreme summer as it happens too infrequently. The fact they are thriving in it, as witnessed by the huge honey flows earlier this summer suggests that most bees are unable to show their true potential in a normal British summer which can often be cool and wet.

No UK bees of any strain will be "adapted" to this extreme summer as it happens too infrequently. The fact they are thriving in it, as witnessed by the huge honey flows earlier this summer suggests that most bees are unable to show their true potential in a normal British summer which can often be cool and wet.

Yes I see that makes sense.

So given that UK bees seems to have done well whatever the particular type bee variety surely this shows pretty much any of the main bee types are well adapted to high temperatures and relative drought conditions.

But I guess the same cannot be applied to low temperatures and damp conditions etc.

But I guess the same cannot be applied to low temperatures and damp conditions etc.

Yes it can, as this happens every winter in the UK. Any hive with whatever strain of bee inside that lives through a winter must, by definition of it's still living, be "adapted" to those conditions.

Yes it can, as this happens every winter in the UK. Any hive with whatever strain of bee inside that lives through a winter must, by definition of it's still living, be "adapted" to those conditions.

Well yes, but this would assume that colony survival is only dictated by the genetics of a colony which I don't think is right. To assess this a large number of similar size of colonies of different races would be required.

Latest posts

Back