Hot, no flow, scarce water, discuss....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yes, but this would assume that colony survival is only dictated by the genetics of a colony which I don't think is right. .

Exactly.....this stuff and nonsense about locally adapted bees being best adapted to their local conditions needs to be put to rest, at least from a beekeepign point of view. Survival in the wild with NO beekeeper interference is another issue.
Bees of most strains etc are incredibly flexible in their responses to any circumstances almost anywhere.

I normally feel that JMB’s posts are helpful, but there are a couple I disagree with in this thread.
This is the beginner’s section. The OP was seeking advice. JMB just sought to put him down, rather than reply to the points he was raising. We’ve had countless threads where innocent enquiries have attracted opprobrium rather than useful replies. Let’s not keep driving new beekeepers away.
And as for the other area of disagreement, I’ll be issuing as soon as the Court is open.

Last edited:
I live in South London. The hives have been getting lighter for a fortnight, and the bees are bringing in small amounts of honey dew honey. I am extracting and starting Winter preparations.

Most years in London the flow carries on for longer.

There is quite a lot of EFB about and I would particularly like my bees not to go out robbing, so once I've got the honey off I'll be feeding them 1:1 syrup and combining. Not a usual Summer for me.

I normally feel that JMB’s posts are helpful, but there are a couple I disagree with in this thread.
This is the beginner’s section. The OP was seeking advice. JMB just sought to put him down, rather than reply to the points he was raising. We’ve had countless threads where innocent enquiries have attracted opprobrium rather than useful replies. Let’s not keep driving new beekeepers away.
And as for the other area of disagreement, I’ll be issuing as soon as the Court is open.
JBM put's most folk down without explanation i suspect he was bullied as a child or has issues with Gay priest's. :rolleyes:

To be fair,
Doesn't sound like a question to me, neither does it appear to be someone asking advice, more like a pompous school teacher talking to his pupils.
Most of my colonies are sitting under multiple supers, the bees have all they want and are happily going about their thing. If the beekeeper has taken all their honey or weakened them by splitting, it's obvious they need feeding.

I live in South London. The hives have been getting lighter for a fortnight, and the bees are bringing in small amounts of honey dew honey. I am extracting and starting Winter preparations.

Most years in London the flow carries on for longer.

There is quite a lot of EFB about and I would particularly like my bees not to go out robbing, so once I've got the honey off I'll be feeding them 1:1 syrup and combining. Not a usual Summer for me.

Thanks for this advice. Combined with others who have been helpful I shall enact accordingly. Bravo!

To be fair,
Doesn't sound like a question to me, neither does it appear to be someone asking advice, more like a pompous school teacher talking to his pupils.
Most of my colonies are sitting under multiple supers, the bees have all they want and are happily going about their thing. If the beekeeper has taken all their honey or weakened them by splitting, it's obvious they need feeding.

I have harvested zero honey. Previous useful answers have provided sufficient guidance so you may move along to another post.

PS Beginners - there is no requirement to post a question in the subject line. It is a subject line so should try to best represent the ensuing topic. That said and as far as I know, there is no message protocol however and one should do one's best to be informative and make the process enjoyable for members. It seems to me that poor message etiquette "crimes" are more likely to be flippancy, dogma and a holier than thou attitude masquerading as petty offence.

Last edited:

Ive ended up learning much from those who gave good honest advice from the OP. Hopefully others in the SE and maybe other areas will have done the same. I've also learned there are good souls on this board and I'm back to being positive about inviting others to using BKF "beginners" as a trusted resource.

“They that have grown old in a single state are generally found to be morose, fretful and captious; tenacious of their own practices and maxims; soon offended by contradiction or negligence; and impatient of any association but with those that will watch their nod, and submit themselves to unlimited authority.” Samuel Johnson

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back