Hot Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is there anything you guys do to reduce the temperature of the Hive? Hive 2 the girls spend a lot of time gathered on the landing board, but this afternoon whilst sat on the decking watching them, they seemed to have swarmed, now they flew around for a few minutes then landed in my tree. 10 minutes later they have returned to the hive. Queen Vic is clipped so she definitely was not up the tree and no sign of her on the grass. Last linspection no sign of Queen cells and the Colony was doing well.

Just wondering if they are getting to hot?

Last edited:
No. They swarmed. Queen was clipped and could not keep up so they returned to the hive. They will swarm again when the first virgin is ready.
:iagree:
Just wondering if they are getting to hot?
No - bees are perfectly capable of keeping the hive cool - even in temperatures greater than what we're having here at the moment. Seen colonies out in Africa in temperatures over 40 degrees in Langstroths with solid floors, small entrances and a tin roof - they coped fine.

No. They swarmed. Queen was clipped and could not keep up so they returned to the hive. They will swarm again when the first virgin is ready.
How long ago was the last inspection you mention?
8 days ago, I have done an inspection tonight and found a capped Queen cell. I also have found the Queen she is under the mesh floor. Impossible to see her but I pulled some bees down onto the grass and they have marched up the leg back under the hive.

Just home from work and the swarm is still huddled under the hive. I don't want another colony so is finding the swarmed Queen and dispatching her an option and then shake the Bee's back into there original hive?

Just home from work and the swarm is still huddled under the hive. I don't want another colony so is finding the swarmed Queen and dispatching her an option and then shake the Bee's back into there original hive?

Seems rather a shame?

Just create a nuc and then, if the main hive requeens successfully, sell the nuc or give it away?

or remove all queen cells and put her back.

Seems rather a shame?

Just create a nuc and then, if the main hive requeens successfully, sell the nuc or give it away?
I have done this once with a swarm that landed in my garden, these ended up being continously robbed, my apiary is in my garden and 2 hives is enough at the moment, I know what you are saying but I also have to keep the wife and neighbours happy 😊

Should be fine if she has room to lay

I have done this once with a swarm that landed in my garden, these ended up being continously robbed, my apiary is in my garden and 2 hives is enough at the moment, I know what you are saying but I also have to keep the wife and neighbours happy 😊

I know what you mean but .... I could never kill a perfectly healthy mated queen, personally (unless there were aggression/disease issues of course).

I know what you mean but .... I could never kill a perfectly healthy mated queen, personally (unless there were aggression/disease issues of course).
I don't like the thought myself, maybe removing the capped Queen cell is a better option, she has been a good Queen other than her desire to swarm ☹

They'll still want to swarm, and will with the first virgin out

Or if you just tear the QC down, they will make another - and next time they won't give you seven days grace. If they want to swarm, you need to address it. You have to conduct an artifical swarm of some kind

If you’ve got a spare brood box you could maybe try a demaree vertical split....then combine back to one bb for winter?

Not according to this guy...?

Well he obviously hasn't much of a clue then.
Correction - just endured the whole excruciating video and he has no clue!
As I've said before - yootoob is full of idiots with video cameras.

Latest posts

Back