Hot Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norton Caff

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
http://thermosolarhive.com/en/homepage/

I wonder what the bees think about human attempts to control the internal temperature of the colony? Glass? Shading? Brood at top of hive? They look lovely when new though. I think I'll stick with my insulation below the roof!

There main purpose is to heat the hive to 47oC (Fortyseven) for a short while to kill varroa mites. It is supposed to work and gives a chemical free treatment. I won't be getting my credit out just yet.

:ohthedrama:Oh dear. Here we go again!

More ridiculous claims designed to part the gullible from their money.

:icon_204-2:
When the hive is reaching this temperature..........what are the bees doing? Are they just moaning how hot it's getting, or are they cooling the hive as they normally would?
bee-smillie:)

Last edited:
What bees think??

They start to sing : They are controlling mites away, ahaa, ahii, ohoo... Listen from your youtube... With their funny white suits ahaa....

Music according Napoleon XIV's hit.

Last edited:
QUOTE=Finman;497854].
What bees think??

They start to sing : They are controlling mites away, ahaa, ahii, ohoo... Listen from your youtube... With their funny white suits ahaa....

Music according Napoleon XIV's hit.[/QUOTE]

:confused:....:)

@ MS - maybe they need to drink a little, or large, vodka first???

Well ... I reckon that 'hot' hives may have an effect on varroa levels if my super insulated hives are anything of an indicator. The varroa levels in all of my hives are so low as to be of no concern. I think that adding heat to the situation (as this hive appears to do) may be unnecessary but ... there have been some studies that show that varroa's ability to breed is restricted in high temperature high humidity conditions so ... perhaps it will work ?

Not sure we need another crowd funding bee based adventure though ?

Well ... I reckon that 'hot' hives may have an effect on varroa levels if my super insulated hives are anything of an indicator. The varroa levels in all of my hives are so low as to be of no concern. I think that adding heat to the situation (as this hive appears to do) may be unnecessary but ... there have been some studies that show that varroa's ability to breed is restricted in high temperature high humidity conditions so ... perhaps it will work ?

Not sure we need another crowd funding bee based adventure though ?

The Zest people think the really well insulated hive helps keep varroa loads down too.

The Zest people think the really well insulated hive helps keep varroa loads down too.
IMHO insulation has nothing to do with varroa management and everything to do with the colonies build up and management of stores (i.e. winter survival). I believe two things are important in varroa management: open mesh floors and hygienic bees.

IMHO insulation has nothing to do with varroa management and everything to do with the colonies build up and management of stores (i.e. winter survival). I believe two things are important in varroa management: open mesh floors and hygienic bees.

I think insulation is just part of the mix .. the one thing I am certain of is (and agree entirely with you) is that well insulated hives are better for bees in so many respects. I don't really know whether I have hygienic bees - but I do have healthy, untreated, colonies that have (and always have had) very low varroa counts for most of the time and even the occasional spike does not last long.

I have almost stopped trying to work out why this is so because there are clearly so many factors that affect both the bees and the varroa - along with a modicum of good luck. I just feel very fortunate that my walk on the dark side has so far been successful but I remain vigilant.

As this is not the Beginners Section I would encourage people to be certain that they have a problem with varroa before they rush to treat - particularly with the more aggressive treatments.

As this is not the Beginners Section I would encourage people to be certain that they have a problem with varroa before they rush to treat - particularly with the more aggressive treatments.

:iagree: I would also suggest that you may lose a few colonies along the way as some will be able to cope with varroa better than others. This is not something I would advocate to a 1 or 2 hive beekeeper as the risk of losing both colonies would be too high. In the early years, I lost a lot of colonies to varroa but now I rarely see any sign of it.

Odd idea.... What is aggressive treatment?

How many hives you have treated and with what stuffs? With how many years experience? And you are delivering your advices on experienceds forum.

Varroa treatments have been reserched very carefully, and beekeepers do not need personal opinions in this serious issue. World is full of DIY advices without research backround. Huge humbugers.

Last edited:
I believe two things are important in varroa management: open mesh floors and hygienic bees.

But they are not. Colonies die on mesh floors and hygienic bees die too.
It must be very special bee strain which stands varroa. And how much it then produce honey?

Ok then. I wonder where are those mite resistant hives.. And you have a final answer to that. Based on what researching?
I have provided results and commentary on my test colonies throughout the year. I don't claim they are completely resistant although I am part of a group that is working towards that aim.
Why are you so contentious this evening Finman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back