Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Found a massive hornet on my bedroom curtains today. Looked exactly like a wasp, only about 5 times bigger. Is it safe to assume their is a nest nearby? I should have bees soon and I am worried about their safety :willy_nilly:

It's dead now btw

We have had several hornets 1.5 - 2 inches long and audible for 150-200 yards...nasty beasties. Unfortunately not 'gettable'! Our new out apiary seemed perfect until the farmers wife said...'Of course, there is a big hornets nest in the roof...' Bliss!

Another thread for paranoid beekeepers who view other insect life in terms of "nasty beasties"?

Why are beekeepers seemingly so intersted in killing things ... woodpeckers, mice, hornets, wasps?

That's very true...

Hornets are shy retiring creatures. Occasionally a threat to bees but most often not. I also heard they were quite rare in relative terms...

Sam

Hornets are shy retiring creatures.

Yep, in my business i get many calls every year to deal with hornets and i can honestly say that i have never had a problem with them. They do not react like wasps do and almost seem scared of whats happening, it is quite sad to witness the destruction of such facinating things.
I am afraid that they have been painted in a very bad light and until peoples attitudes change towards such things, nothing will change and many colonies will be destroyed every year, most of the time, needlessly and through a lack of understanding.

Just as an aside but related...

My wife and I went to Bibury Court to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago. There was a queen hornet in our room and we put it into a large jar to take a look at it. It was fine in the jar and so we decided to get the camera from the car and nip for a bite to eat in the restaurant and to come back and release it after we had taken a couple of pictures.

Whilst we were out the housemaid came to turn down our bedsheets. When we returned the hornet had gone.

So I went down to reception and asked what had happened, which brave soul had released it. I was told by the female receptionist that the housemaid had called her for help and between them they had squished my dangerous hornet. She was quite proud of herself and pleased this terrible pest was dead.

I couldn't resist what followed...all true...

Keeping my cool I explained to her that I kept bees and bred bees and hornets. I explained that hornets were endangered in certain parts of Britain and my hornet was a pedigree hornet. I called him James the stud hornet and hoped she could understand why he had cost me £1500. I told her due to his blood line he was in demand and that in the niche world of hornet conservation and showing he was a star. He travelled everywhere with us for security and so we could monitor his diet, afterall like humans, hornets are what they eat.

I told her that my wife would be furious and that I felt winded by what she had done.

She was horrified when I asked for his body.

She was so apologetic and completely taken in.

After she became increasingly distressed I owned up and she relaxed. In conversation I told what I had just learned from Google about the European hornet.

I doubt she will squish many more.

Sam

I did not realise they weren't much of a threat. Didn't realise they were shy either. I'll not bother worrying about it. If I see another hornet I'll just let it be.

Last edited:
Another thread for paranoid beekeepers who view other insect life in terms of "nasty beasties"?

Why are beekeepers seemingly so intersted in killing things ... woodpeckers, mice, hornets, wasps?

Not forgetting "OTHER" Beekeepers !
(or is that just in Cornwall????)

We had a couple of hornet nests quite close to the hive last year, they were no trouble at all. unlike the wasps!

I did not realise they weren't much of a threat. Didn't realise they were shy either. I'll not bother worrying about it. If I see another hornet I'll just let it be.

well in august they bite the heads of my bees and take them back to their nest to feed their young

They catch the bees in mid flight at my hive entrance, so i dont like them

The European hornet as MM says takes a few bees but that is all. The Asian hornet on the other hand can wipe out a colony very quickly and THEY are top of my hit list. It is only a matter of time before they arrive in the UK be vigilant.

well in august they bite the heads of my bees and take them back to their nest to feed their young

They catch the bees in mid flight at my hive entrance, so i dont like them

With your average bee colony in summer having in excess of about 30,000 foragers, I don't begrudge hornets the odd few.

The European hornet as MM says takes a few bees but that is all. The Asian hornet on the other hand can wipe out a colony very quickly and THEY are top of my hit list. It is only a matter of time before they arrive in the UK be vigilant.

We all need to learn the difference between the two!

We all need to learn the difference between the two!

Any clues as to how to do this?

I live on the south coast of England and possibly likely to be one of the first to see an Asian Hornet. Over the past few years we have had hornets in and around the house and last year I found a nest but no idea what type they were?

Hornet type

I have just googled 'Asian Hornet' & lots of pics!
They seem to be more like large wasps? yellow and black strips?
Not like our more brownish stripped hornet.
The Asian hornets sound real nasty, probably know when they arrive, hope it's not me to get the first sting!

they look like MJBee's forum avatar.
mostly black with one yellow stripe

Vespa velutina is the Asian predatory hornet in France not the giant Asian hornet. Consequently although it is known to predate honeybees it has not been recorded decimating hives yet to get to young...it takes single bees in mid air typically.

One of the easiest defences, when it is active, is to reduce the hive entrance and add was traps when it comes over to the UK.

The hornet is slightly smaller than our European hornet but has a larger colony (around 2,000) than the European hornet (2-300) and can be more aggressive in its defence.

A pain but not necessarily a disaster,

Sam

Quote:-Vespa velutina is the Asian predatory hornet in France not the giant Asian hornet. Consequently although it is known to predate honeybees it has not been recorded decimating hives yet to get to young...it takes single bees in mid air typically. Unquote

Not strictly true Rose Cottage - A single Vespa velutina nigrithorax will take one bee at a time, usually from ambush from under the hive, the bees do not seem to be too upset by this. However if more than one hornet is "hunting" the bees start to get agitated. The number that has been found to cause problems is 20+ at which point the hive goes totally defensive, all foraging stops and panic sets in and the colony can be over-run. Last season 12 colonies were lost and yealds were severely reduced in many apiaries in the south Dordogne.

Thus far I have only had the odd one or two actually at the hives, but have the area ringed by traps and have caught a lot. The important months are February, March and April - they are all Queen Hornets:smash::party:

MJBee,
Point accepted...I was quoting a report from a study group..if I find it again I will post the results.

I guess then possible damage is colony loss but usual consequence falls far short of this. The media always seem to confuse the Asian and giant Asian hornet...it can make a better read.

Basic precautions should result in effective management.

All the best,
Sam

Back